Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
IDEA and funding for private schools

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:50 pm
Does anyone have any clue if private schools in NJ receive funding for special education services under the IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act)? Or must students go to the local PS district to access their right to services?

Thank you!!!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:58 pm
I used to work in a Lakewood school and we got funding from PL192, PL193, Title 1, and a very limited amount from IDEA. If I recall correctly each student who qualified for IDEA received only an hour of services a week from that funding. If they needed more we needed to use another funding source. It’s way less than you would receive from a public school.

The way it was explained to me is that IDEA services go to PS first and the private schools receive the leftovers.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:28 pm
amother Blush wrote:
I used to work in a Lakewood school and we got funding from PL192, PL193, Title 1, and a very limited amount from IDEA. If I recall correctly each student who qualified for IDEA received only an hour of services a week from that funding. If they needed more we needed to use another funding source. It’s way less than you would receive from a public school.

The way it was explained to me is that IDEA services go to PS first and the private schools receive the leftovers.

Thank you so much for sharing this.

advocate

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 10:02 pm
IDEA mandates that a proportionate share of federal special education funds are used for parentally placed private schools students with disabilities.

It is not "leftover" money.

That money cannot be given directly to the private schools. Yes, one has to go to the public school system, through Child Find.

This is a use it or lose it system - if private school parents do not use Child Find, the money will dry up.

Please feel free to call Maryland Special Needs Advocacy Project at the Macks Center for Jewish Connection for more information or assistance.

Project LEARN at the OU is another excellent resource.

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics