Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Constipation: Dr. Stretching Rectum?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:36 pm
Hi,

My 5 month old is often constipated (I.e. pushes while making sounds and red in face, cries). His pediatrictian said that some babies have a narrow rectum, and if that's the case he stretches the rectum manually to solve the problem.

Have you heard of this, and any thoughts on this approach?

Thank you in advance!

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:47 pm
What are feeding your baby?
Have you taken your baby to the chiro?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 3:49 pm
I heard this approach 20/30 years ago. Is this doctor old fashioned?

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:10 pm
This is a legitimate treatment for certain medical conditions even today but I would get a referral to a gi to manage this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:15 pm
oneofakind wrote:
I heard this approach 20/30 years ago. Is this doctor old fashioned?

Yes, he's considered old school. Do you know if this is still considered beneficial nowadays?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:17 pm
amother Bone wrote:
What are feeding your baby?
Have you taken your baby to the chiro?

He eats primarily formula (Gentlease or Similac). He breastfeeds once or twice a day. We also give him watered down formula once a day. Lately, on the doctor's recommendation we've been giving 1-4 ounces of prune juice per day, for the constipation.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:19 pm
Why water down formula?
Tried pear juice? Tummy massage? Try another pediatrician or GI.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:22 pm
oneofakind wrote:
Why water down formula?
Tried pear juice? Tummy massage? Try another pediatrician or GI.

The watered down formula is because he was gaining weight excessively from the only formula. He was eating a lot per day. He's gaining weight nicely even with the occasional watered down formula. And it seems the water can help with the constipation too.

I tried tummy massage as well as lifting his legs. I haven't seen anything happen after those.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and thoughts!

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
The watered down formula is because he was gaining weight excessively from the only formula. He was eating a lot per day. He's gaining weight nicely even with the occasional watered down formula. And it seems the water can help with the constipation too.

I tried tummy massage as well as lifting his legs. I haven't seen anything happen after those.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and thoughts!

What does gaining weight excessively mean for an infant? (Did your ped tell you to water it down or did you decide this on your own?)

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 4:27 pm
I took my infant off dairy formula and the constipation stopped immediately. I would try several other things before stretching the rectum.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 7:51 pm
Where are you located?
Please take your baby to the chiro certified in websters technique.
They dont "crack" ur baby if ur scared- its gentle movements that can help alleviate his pain. He must be uncomfortable

Why are you supplementing and nursing?

sandyish

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 8:32 pm
For babies like yours who have a sensitive digestive system it is not a good idea to be switching between two formulas. You indicated he drinks Gentlease and similac. I would recommend using only 1 going forward. Switching between 2 can be hard on their stomachs. I would personally go with Gentlease because it helped my son who was constipated at that age. Prune juice also helped a lot, and mirilax. He outgrew it eventually.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:13 pm
I had a baby who’s rectum was quite small and couldn’t relieve himself. The doctor gently stretched it and my baby had so much relief. Sometimes it is necessary. He needed it done twice for it to work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics