Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What is your 4-5 month old baby's sleep schedule like?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 9:59 pm
How many naps?
Approximate times and lengths?
What time is bedtime?
How do you get baby to sleep?

My baby is a terrible sleeper and takes a few catnaps during the day. Nightime wakes up after about an hour and I take her into my bed to nurse and end up falling asleep and nursing on and off through the night.

Trying to get a sense of a normal napping schedule for this age.

And any suggestions for how to get her naps a little longer than 20-30 minutes.

Thank u!

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 10:28 pm
Totally does not have a schedule. Will sleep maybe two times during the day. I know my babysitter uses a sound machine…
But BH usually once I go to bed (close to 12am) she sleeps though but does wake up for feeds.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 10:34 pm
My 5 month old also cat naps during the day. Terrible sleeper at night. Following for ideas

DH is currently trying to put him to sleep with no luck. It’s so so hard. We’re zombies

tichellady

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 10:51 pm
my kids don’t nap well until 6 months old

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:20 pm
No advice but commiseration.
I think my baby is taking about 3 naps a day.
If he's in the stroller, it's not as good as in his own bed.
Night time he wakes up every hour or so for the past few days, we're trying to get over that hurdle (unless it's a 6 month growth spurt a little early)

Aurora

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:23 pm
I just saw the title and laughed, because at 4 -5 months it was kind of: schedule? When?!

I'll agree with the other posters - they didn't really settle in until closer to 6 or 7 months.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:24 pm
We were doing okay and then just hit 6 months. Everything down the drain.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:26 pm
Aurora wrote:
I just saw the title and laughed, because at 4 -5 months it was kind of: schedule? When?!

I'll agree with the other posters - they didn't really settle in until closer to 6 or 7 months.

So does that happen automatically? or that's when they are sleep-trainable?

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:43 am
FTM here. Baby is now 7 months.

We had basically zero schedule when she was 4 months. At 5 months I tried my best to be aware of wake windows and when she should go to sleep/her sleepy cues. It definitely made a difference. I believe it was something like 2-3 hours awake time between naps that were anywhere from 30 minutes to max 2 hours. She’s a pretty terrible napper even now, but she does nap on somewhat of a schedule. Just not for very long.

As others mentioned, it was really only at the 6 month mark that things felt a little more “under control.” It’s a very challenging time. If you’re finding it difficult, you are not alone.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:03 am
My baby is almost 4 months. Sleeps BH well at night but only in a specific brand sleep swaddle thing. It allows for transition to arms out when my baby can roll over so hopefully it stays the same. But dreading that transition!!
Naps vary. Some days sleeps amazingly and some days I cant get the baby to sleep more than 10 minutes!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:42 am
My 5 month old used to be on an amazing schedule, but after the summer my schedule changed (night school) and twice a week I send her to my mother until 11 pm. Now she’s all confused, most of the week she sleeps from 9 pm to about 7 am but those 2 days she sleeps 12 pm to 7 am and then is all cranky. Or sometimes she’ll sleep late till like 10 am. I feel like a terrible mother, like I’m messing her up. But B”H my mother is amazing and offered to babysit, and I can’t really afford a babysitter by me…and DH is in night seder

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:45 am
Definitely being aware of cues help. Like what physically to look out for.

You have to be consistent. So at night if they wake up after an hour. Paci. If they are really hysterical after trying a paci and rocking them for ten minutes or whatever you do nurse a bit and then stick the paci in when they are drowsy.

For me I found just sticking to having them in their bassinet/crib during night hours hard but when I was consistent they ended up getting used to staying asleep and being asleep.

At some point around 5 months I started to try to see if I put him in his crib alone with a paci and blanket and keep an eye if he can fall asleep himself. He did. It took some patience and 20 means of small kvetching but he really just needed to put himself to sleep at that point.

Aurora

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:59 am
amother OP wrote:
So does that happen automatically? or that's when they are sleep-trainable?

Both? I think it's a combo of:
1. Small human is finally trainable
2. You and small human are more used to each other's personalities and mannerisms.
3. Pretty sure it isn't automatic.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:06 am
My 4 1/2 month old baby catnaps during the day but I know when to expect it. So he naps like three times a day for exactly 29 minutes each.
At night I put him in at 7 and he puts himself to sleep. Then it depends on the night but usually he wakes up about 4ish, takes a bottle and goes back to sleep till 6:30/7.

These days he’s not feeling well/teething/regression so he’s up so many times a night starting at 2 am and I’m losing it!

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:13 pm
Agree with everyone else. 5.5 mo naps very inconsistently. Sometimes for 20 minutes, sometimes for an hour. If I'm on top of it he gets about 4 naps a day.

BH started mostly sleeping for a stretch of 10 hours so I'm not complaining.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:06 pm
For all of our kids, when they were 4-5 months old, they had 1-2 naps during the day, with each nap lasting anywhere from a half hour to 2 hours.

The all slept through the night, at least 10 hours plus, from the time they were 3-4 months old, or from when our pediatrician confirmed that they didn't need night feedings anymore, at which point we sleep trained them. Our 2 year old twins have been sleeping consistently for 13 hours a night since they were 3 months old. They really only wake up during the night if they're sick.

writinggirl

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:47 pm
My baby is 9 months. When he was 3 months, he started sleeping 7-7 (waking up to eat). He napped every 3 hours during the day for around 45 min each time. He dropped the 3rd nap at around 6 months.

lucky14

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:45 pm
My current baby went to sleep around 9:30/10ish at that age. I fed him to sleep. I was super lucky and he slept through the night waking around 6am. He was taking around 3-4 naps a day at that age. 20 minutes-1.5 hours. He didn’t nap in his crib then. Only being held (in my arms or baby carrier) or in his car seat or stroller (if we were out doing errands).

I have no advice on how to get naps to be longer. He’s almost a year now and although he finally sleeps in his crib for naps they are still very short!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics