Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Chessed opportunities for children

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 8:25 pm
I would love to get my kids involved in some sort of volunteering/chessed program. My oldest is just 10... is there anything feasible you can think of?

amother
Valerian

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 8:30 pm
When I was 10 I used to play with my mother’s friend’s kids shabbos morning so she could sleep in. There was a 6yo, 4yo and baby that slept with the mom. I felt so special.
It would have to be with a family you trust.

salt

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 10:58 pm
My mum used to take us with to visit elderly people.
When we were older (teenagers) we would go and visit them on our own.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 11:05 pm
I know this is probably not what you had in mind, but I try to make my children a part of the small chessed that I do. If I cook for someone who just had a baby, I'll let them help, or come along to deliver it. I collect tzedakah from my neighborhood before Y"T, my children come with me from house to house. I don't make a big deal about it, but I would like to think that it makes an impression on them.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:05 am
There is so much.

My girls, 9 and 5, love holding my neighbor's baby and playing with her toddler. It's a huge help for her.

My 12 year old son comes to the park on shabbos/yom tov some weeks to help me and my neighbor with the kids. He volunteers, nobody tells he he has to do it.

My 9 year old recently started being a mother's helper for a relative with twin 3 year olds and a 2 year old. She plays with them, colors with them, reads them stories, and gives them snacks. It gives their mother a moment's breathing space to cook, do laundry or just sit for a few minutes quietly.

This age they can help someone in the kitchen (peel vegetables), help with kids (entertaining) with an adult around, and even help someone clean up toys and organize a little.

But chesed needs to start at home. There is so much she can do at that age at home too to help out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:57 am
Quote:
I know this is probably not what you had in mind, but I try to make my children a part of the small chessed that I do. If I cook for someone who just had a baby, I'll let them help, or come along to deliver it. I collect tzedakah from my neighborhood before Y"T, my children come with me from house to house. I don't make a big deal about it, but I would like to think that it makes an impression on them.

This is actually very much what I have in mind Smile
They help at home but I'd love for them to extend themselves to others as well while keeping it light and fun. Definitely going to work on these ideas. Thank you.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:03 am
My kids really enjoy visiting old age homes. They recently lost their last great-grandparent and have been feeling down about it, so we started visiting a local old age home (there's one a few blocks away from us) and they have the best time. They play board games with the residents and listen to their stories. They particularly excited whenever they meet someone who is over 100. Even attending their young age, they understand that's something very special! The only thing to be aware of is that old age homes have to be extra super careful about covid, so if you decide to do this, your kids will have to wear masks and you really should not go if anyone has the sniffles, even if you think it's just allergies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:09 am
So many amazing ideas! Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics