Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Vort, Lechaim, or engagement party?

Vort, Lechaim, or engagement party?
Vort  
 30%  [ 6 ]
Lechaim  
 45%  [ 9 ]
Engagement party (irusim)  
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:06 pm
For a story set in Israel, which term is the best? The chatan is yeshivish.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:09 pm
Usually a L'chaim and Vort are not the same thing. L'chaim when they officially announce the engagement - usually parents and very close family and usually the Vort which the engagement part is within a week or so. Some people have a L'chaim followed by vort immediately.
Do Yeshivish Israeli say Chattan or Chosson?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 6:28 pm
We called our engagement party erusin (Israeli, not really yeshivish). We didn't have a Lechaim.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:16 am
a lechayim is very small the day the couple gets engaged
then there is an officual eirusin-engagement party that is larger

that is how my community in israel does it

salt

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:27 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Usually a L'chaim and Vort are not the same thing. L'chaim when they officially announce the engagement - usually parents and very close family and usually the Vort which the engagement part is within a week or so. Some people have a L'chaim followed by vort immediately.

In every day speech they would say 'chatan'. eg. someone's asking the girl about the guy she just got engaged to :
"מזל טוב. מאיפה החתן שלך?"

If they're speaking a little yeshivish, they might say 'chosson', eg. yeshiva bochur who just got engaged walks into a room in his yeshiva and his friends might say "hineh ha-chosson!!"

But if you are writing in Hebrew, it would be חתן either way.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:16 am
It's Erusin.

They don't do 'Vorts' as we know them in America.

When I tried explaining to my Israeli kids what a Vort was they were thoroughly confused.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:23 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:

Chattan

chanchy123

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:27 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
It's Erusin.

They don't do 'Vorts' as we know them in America.

When I tried explaining to my Israeli kids what a Vort was they were thoroughly confused.

I am Israeli and it took me a long time (like many years) to figure out what people on this site say when they mean vort (actually I'm still not sure I really understand).

Generally when people decide to get engaged the parents meet and close family and friends are invited to come say mazal tov and (not always but many times) - this is called a vort. This will take place immediately.
Many people also have an engagement party in which the actual vort is performed (break a plate, sign a contract - or not) - this is not called a vort but eirusin/mesibat eirusin.

This is true for both Chareidi and DL circles - DL circles are more likely to have just one or the other (I.e. parents meet in private without an actual vort and then a scheduled party later on OR just the vort without a scheduled party).

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:00 am
Where I grew up- Chareidi Israeli world- vort is what Americans call a l'chaim. A small gathering with close family and friends the day the couple announces the engagement.
Eirusin is engagement party, a simcha a few days (usually up to 2 weeks) later where there's a seuda and everyone is invited. They break the plate and sometimes do the tenaim, which is why it's sometimes called a tenaim.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club