Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler refuses to sit in the stroller

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:31 am
I'm at my wits end. My 20 month old refuses to sit in her stroller when we are out. She will scream and scream and scream when I strap her in. I wouldn't mind if she would walk, but no she expects me to carry her when walking outside, and then also push the empty stroller.. Punch

I really can't do this! I don't have a car so this is the only way I can get out. I don't want to give in, because she's so heavy and I think it's bad chinuch.

Rappel

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:38 am
So buckle up, and let her have her tantrum. It's not pleasant, but if she is safe and healthy, and this is how you can get around, then she's going to have to get used to it

Last edited by Rappel on Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:39 am
Get special toys that you give her while in the stroller you can attach things to bar so that it doesn’t get thrown. My kids that age age love magna doodles you can get small ones that are easy to put in a diskette bag. My toddler is also into those magic ink books take those along with me to keep her happy.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:52 am
Rappel wrote:
So buckle up, and let her have her tantrum. It's not pleasant, but if she is safe and healthy, and this is how you can get around, then she's going to have to get used to it

OP, rappel is 100% on spot.
Your daughter shows her own will, that's all. Be consequent and put her in stroller no matter what. She will accept it as long as you don't give an alternative.

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:40 am
Lol. My son did this at 20months. He’s getting close to 2 years old and it’s not as bad as it used to be so hope is on the horizon.

I just buckled him in and tough tacos. Usually after a few mins he’d calm down. It was embarrassing at times when the entire place would look at me like I am a terrible mother for making my child cry but who cares.

And trust me. I tried the tricks. The bamba, the toys, the promises… some toddlers are super strong willed.

BTW- having a car can also be an issue with this. My son would tantrum each time I would try to buckle him into his car seat and I couldn’t close the door and all the people who wanted to drive by would yell at me.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:47 am
You can buckle her and let her have a tantrum, or you can try a leash and she if maybe that will help. I had a monkey knapsack leash for my youngest, starting from when she was about 15 months old. The difference between her and your daughter is that she didn’t want to be held, she WANTED to be free. I couldn’t have her running all over the place, so I got her this cute monkey knapsack leash. I put her snacks, diapers and wipes in it.

Berhapy 2 in 1 New Monkey Toddler Safety Harness Backpack Children's Walking Leash Strap(Brown) https://a.co/d/9hYQTCA

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 6:54 am
I prefer to babywear for this reason... Yes, they make toddler babycarriers.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:00 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I prefer to babywear for this reason... Yes, they make toddler babycarriers.

I wear my 30lb 2 year old everyday. Aside from the fact that not everyone can do it, there are plenty and tantrums and refusals with baby wearing too. It’s developmentally appropriate regardless of stroller or carrier

amother
Oatmeal

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:03 am
amother Linen wrote:
I wear my 30lb 2 year old everyday. Aside from the fact that not everyone can do it, there are plenty and tantrums and refusals with baby wearing too. It’s developmentally appropriate regardless of stroller or carrier

Ya totally. My toddler's biggest issue is that she just wants to be held when I pick her up from gan. She's younger. She's 16 months. But I've worn kids who were older than that. I've rarely dealt with carrier refusal, but I am sure it happens.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:25 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
Ya totally. My toddler's biggest issue is that she just wants to be held when I pick her up from gan. She's younger. She's 16 months. But I've worn kids who were older than that. I've rarely dealt with carrier refusal, but I am sure it happens.

It’s not that they don’t want to go in the carrier. It’s that they don’t want to stop doing what they were doing (playing, running around) Or they want to walk (not gonna happen) but that’s how every kid differs

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:27 am
I had that with my now 2 yr old , I told him to sit nicely and I wont buckle him in.
And that did the trick, he knew he needed to ask bef. He comes out.
I also have a good stroller for that, seat is higher up..
Try that.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 7:34 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:

My kids (except the youngest, and only up until she could walk) all refused to be in a carrier. They wanted to be out and about.

hiitsme

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:27 am
I had that with my now 2 year old. It was so hard! But it was just a phase, after a month or two she was fine again in her stroller. Giving her a snack/treat (for extreme cases ;-) helped by me.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:39 am
Thanks for all the replies! The thing is, she could literally cry for half an hour straight in her stroller. Do you think she will stop if I never let her come out until the destination?

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! The thing is, she could literally cry for half an hour straight in her stroller. Do you think she will stop if I never let her come out until the destination?

Yup. My dd was the same. Took about a week to train her but it worked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics