Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
My teen is an angry monster every morning

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:45 am
My teen is a wonderful kid. Comes home from school every day, does her home work, relaxes with a bit of tv, does her reading, helps get dinner ready, all around fine. Then morning comes. I wake her and she just becomes a nasty monster. Everything is fighting and yelling. She goes to bed between 10 - 10:30 every night. She wont go to bed earlier than that. Id love her to. She wont.
I dont know how to change the mornings. This morning I woke up in a great mood. (I slept more hours than I usually do Smile ) and then she came into the kitchen and started her craziness.

Anyone have any ideas? Its really nuts. She's like a different person in the morning. She is 14. It hasnt always been this way. And this year she even gets up later than she did for the past few years.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:47 am
I’m sorry. No advice.
My family dealt with this for my teenage and young adult life.
It made them miserable and angry at me.
I’m so glad they still talk to me.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:31 am
Maybe stop waking her and let her take charge of her morning routine? At fourteen she's old enough to take responsibility. Let her know one evening that it seems like she might be better off with space in the morning, and at this age she's mature enough to do mornings herself. This can be a collaborative discussion with her input on what involvement she would still need from you (hopefully as little as possible) and what she's ready to take on by herself. And you affirming that it's okay if she needs space in the morning (this isn't a punishment) and it might be best for everyone if she's more independent in the morning. Honestly she just sounds like not a morning person combined with teenage hormones.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:43 am
WhatFor wrote:
Maybe stop waking her and let her take charge of her morning routine? At fourteen she's old enough to take responsibility. Let her know one evening that it seems like she might be better off with space in the morning, and at this age she's mature enough to do mornings herself. This can be a collaborative discussion with her input on what involvement she would still need from you (hopefully as little as possible) and what she's ready to take on by herself. And you affirming that it's okay if she needs space in the morning (this isn't a punishment) and it might be best for everyone if she's more independent in the morning. Honestly she just sounds like not a morning person combined with teenage hormones.
Its so funny because after I posted this,I got a whatsapp message from my daughter saying that she is sorry for how she acted and that she thinks she should wake herself up every morning and that after the chagim she will start putting her alarm clock on. So that actually made me very proud of her.
And thank you for your reply.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:03 am
amother OP wrote:
Its so funny because after I posted this,I got a whatsapp message from my daughter saying that she is sorry for how she acted and that she thinks she should wake herself up every morning and that after the chagim she will start putting her alarm clock on. So that actually made me very proud of her.
And thank you for your reply.

Amazing. So happy for you both.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 4:50 am
Avoid speaking to her in the morning.

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 8:52 am
Could be low blood sugar — try a high fat high protein snack before bed.

Could also be cortisol flooding her brain as she comes out of sleep. Look into adrenal support.

Does she snore, sleep with an open mouth or have sleep apnea? That could contribute as well.

naomi2

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 9:44 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Could be low blood sugar — try a high fat high protein snack before bed.

Could also be cortisol flooding her brain as she comes out of sleep. Look into adrenal support.

Does she snore, sleep with an open mouth or have sleep apnea? That could contribute as well.

Was going to post sleep apnea or low blood sugar. Bedtime doesn't sound that late for her to be in such a bad mood in the morning

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 10:09 am
She sounds like a lovely girl.

Teenage circadian rhythms are set for teens to stay up late and sleep late. So for her body, getting up at 7 feels like getting up at 4 am for you. Even if she's gotten enough hours of sleep, her body is out of whack. Obviously, some people are more sensitive than others. Sounds like she is, unfortunately, on the sensitive side of things. Good news, this won't last forever.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:00 am
My daughter can be like this before she eats. When she was younger, I'd literally force her to eat a candy in the morning. It changed her mood in an instant.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children