Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
S/o PSA honey-I called Hashgacha-there IS corn syrup in some

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:49 pm
I decided to make a new thread-my apologies to the OP of the original one for hijacking, but I feel it is important to get the word out. After that OP warned the world that there may be corn syrup in their honey, she got 2 pages worth of people telling her why that is impossible (namely because of allergy and hashgacha concerns) and by the time I posted, im pretty sure most people had already seen the "verdict" that their honey is fine and wont be opening that thread again.
When I read all the misinformed responses again, I decided to start this thread with a copy of my post from that thread.
This is for anyone who has a corn allergy, is on a specific diet that forbids corn, or simply does not want to consume corn syrup without knowing:

My daughter is on a very strict diet for crohns (scd) and because of that I need to verify every single food item she eats, that it has no unlisted ingredients or processing aides, which according to US laws dont need to be listed if its under a certain percent, or if it is considered a "processing aide" and not an "ingredient".
I had an idea that I could call a hashgacha company and they could tell me which honey is ok for her, because I had heard that some have corn syrup.
So I called the OU and they told me that due to legal contracts they signed, theyre unable to disclose if a certain company has corn syrup in the honey. BUT he confirmed that YES there are absolutely certain companies in the US that they are aware of that include corn syrup in the honey, and the label STILL says 100% PURE HONEY.
Then I thought to ask him if I can rely on honey that is OU-P, for pesachdik, and he said no, because if the corn syrup is under a certain ammount, then it is considered "batel" halachicly and is not a problem for kitniyos-but it is still a problem for my daughter's health.

This phone call was less than a year ago.

If it helps, I did call these undividual companies and was assured there is nothing else in their honey: Liebers, gefen, glicks and haddar.

But yes it is well known in the SCD diet world, and I guess anyone with a severe corn allergy, that even "100% pure honey" can have corn syrup in it.

ETA: only the honeys that pass through pesachdik certification have corn syrup in amounts so minute they are considered battel. It is possible there are other non pesachdik ones that have larger ammounts.

This is also not unique to honey, but to all foods in the US. European foods have strict labeling laws that mandate every single item be listed-not so in the US. The reason why most people on the SCD diet will know this about honey already, is that honey is basically the only allowed sweetwner on SCD, and every newbie gets cautioned from SCD support groups and knowledgeable doctors that they must first query the honey company theyre using before eating, to verify theres nothing else in it, even when labelled 100% pure.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:52 pm
I was just going to start a spinoff like this!

Can you share other secrets from the SCD club? BH we don't have anyone on that diet, but we are careful with corn products in general since it's GMO and does not do well for lots of people.

Someone mentioned olive oil on the other thread. Does anyone have more info on that? Extra virgin vs light olive oil. Which companies are trustworthy that 100% olive oil means exactly that?

Anything else?

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:53 pm
If you are in Monsey or have a way from getting it from Monsey then Ahuva Gottdiener from Homegrown Kosher is selling raw honey from bees from her homestead-- https://homegrownkosher.com/pr.....honey

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 2:56 pm
I posted this on the other thread as well, posting here to illustrate that undisclosed ingredients/processing aides is widespread among all foods in the US:

I once called an apple chips company that only had apples listed in the ingredients, and said all over the package "only 1 ingredient, 100% apples only". The rep insisted over and over "there are NO other ingredients". When I pressed her about "processing aides" she admitted that theres also sunflower oil. Not a problem for my daughter, but anyone with an allergy has a serious issue.

US laws are ridiculous.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:33 am
amother Cerise wrote:

Someone mentioned olive oil on the other thread. Does anyone have more info on that? Extra virgin vs light olive oil. Which companies are trustworthy that 100% olive oil means exactly that?

Anything else?

I havent heard of any problems with oil in general...but I dont know..

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I posted this on the other thread as well, posting here to illustrate that undisclosed ingredients/processing aides is widespread among all foods in the US:

I once called an apple chips company that only had apples listed in the ingredients, and said all over the package "only 1 ingredient, 100% apples only". The rep insisted over and over "there are NO other ingredients". When I pressed her about "processing aides" she admitted that theres also sunflower oil. Not a problem for my daughter, but anyone with an allergy has a serious issue.

US laws are ridiculous.

I’m allergic to sunflower. I couldn’t figure out why I keep having major reactions when none of the packaging ever lists it. Not sure what I’m supposed to do, am I only supposed to eat food I grow in my yard? Ugh they should have to list everything!!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:48 am
amother OP wrote:

US laws are ridiculous.

This is an eye opener to me.
So the law apparently excludes processing sides...

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:58 am
Thank you ! I’m the op from the other thread this was really validating - so many people were very disbelieving or thought I had an hidden agenda

scruffy

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:03 pm
I am curious why honey would be allowed on the SCD diet? Doesn't it also consist of basically glucose and fructose? The ratio is not all that different from HFCS.

From my perspective honey isn't that great for you either, unless you're looking for antioxidants etc. found in raw honey.

Your body treats sugar as sugar...

Last edited by scruffy on Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:03 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
I’m allergic to sunflower. I couldn’t figure out why I keep having major reactions when none of the packaging ever lists it. Not sure what I’m supposed to do, am I only supposed to eat food I grow in my yard? Ugh they should have to list everything!!

I guess I'll tell you then, the apple chips company that disclosed they have sunflower oil is the Bare company. Dont eat those...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:05 pm
scruffy wrote:
I am curious why honey would be allowed on the SCD diet? Doesn't it also consist of basically glucose and fructose? The ratio is not all that different from HFCS.

SCD works on allowing starches/sugars that break down into monosacharrides, which do not feed the harmful bacteria. If it breaks down into a disacharride or polysacharride (larger sugar molecule)then it feeds the bacteria and continues a vicious cycle, and is not allowed.
The diet was developed by a biochemist who studied this for years, together with a physician who treated GI issues for years

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:07 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
This is an eye opener to me.
So the law apparently excludes processing sides...

From my understanding it excludes processing aides, as well as ingredients found under a certain percent

scruffy

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
SCD works on allowing starches/sugars that break down into monosacharrides, which do not feed the harmful bacteria. If it breaks down into a disacharride or polysacharride (larger sugar molecule)then it feeds the bacteria and continues a vicious cycle

Interesting, thank you.

From a basic Google search, HFCS also seems to be made of monosaccharides.

Rubies

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:11 pm
amother Slategray wrote:
Thank you ! I’m the op from the other thread this was really validating - so many people were very disbelieving or thought I had an hidden agenda

I'm curious if anyone came back to apologize for their ignorance?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:16 pm
Nope no one took it back or apologized. The other ladies were really mocking and condescending. For the person who “felt sorry” for ppl who “stress” over things like this - I just wanted to inform ppl the facts. There’s so many ppl suffering from health issues or ppl who just want to avoid corn syrup - the mocking was ridiculous. Don’t pounce on every little statement to make yourself feel better.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

US laws are ridiculous.

Yes. A kashrus expert said that US laws don't consider grape juice as a sugar, so they use grape juice powder as a flavoring for many sugar-free foods. Which is why a hechsher is so necessary in this day and age.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:46 pm
Thank you

If it says on the website that their honey is raw and unfiltered would that mean it has no corn in it or do I need to call them?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 10:55 am
amother Cherry wrote:
Thank you

If it says on the website that their honey is raw and unfiltered would that mean it has no corn in it or do I need to call them?

Im honestly not sure.
Usually the unfiltered raw honey producers pride themselves on really being healthy, so I would suspect they truly did not add anything-but legally they technically could have, so if you want to be sure then I would call them

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 9:40 pm
Bumping this after hearing a (false information) conversation about this over yomtov
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics