Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Mother implanted with wrong Embryo
Previous  1  2  3

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:02 am
banana123 wrote:
Not necessarily. There are many questions that come up and counseling and testing are suggested and it turns out the baby is just fine.

Because in Israel these tests are free if they are necessary, the general practice is to do whatever tests may be necessary, and better extra stress than a nasty surprise later on. Especially since many issues can be fixed immediately after birth, if you know ahead of time.

For all we know the tests came back fine but questions were raised regarding the fetus' parenthood.
Genetic testing is not free in israel.

BadTichelDay

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:18 am
In addition to Machon Puah and other organizations, some hospitals in Israel have their own inbuilt halachic hashgacha. I know that Sha'arei Tzedek have. Assuta, where the mix-up happened, evidently not.

4g01o

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:25 am
DrMom wrote:
Quote:
“There is a certain percentage of women who carry a pregnancy that is not theirs or give birth to a child that is not exactly theirs,” the unidentified manager told Channel 12.

What does the bolded mean?

Maybe she means that it's the woman's egg but not her husbands sperm? Or the other way around...

lucky14

Post Fri, Sep 23 2022, 9:50 am
Fab4 wrote:
Maybe she means that it's the woman's egg but not her husbands sperm? Or the other way around...

I thought it meant that it’s just the wrong embryo. Someone else’s embryo- both the egg and sperm were someone else’s and meant to be put into someone else….

banana123

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:14 pm
Fab4 wrote:

No, it's an embryo belonging to another couple. As in another woman's egg and that woman's husband's sperm. Completely genetically unrelated to the couple now carrying it.

The mixup was during implantation, not during fertilization.

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 3:19 am
The court is now demanding that the fetus be tested to verify if the couple claiming that it is theirs are its parents.
https://www.israelnationalnews.....61404

Rappel

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 3:35 am
banana123 wrote:
The court is now demanding that the fetus be tested to verify if the couple claiming that it is theirs are its parents.
https://www.israelnationalnews.....61404

How incredibly traumatic to the mother who has been carrying the baby to term. It sounds like she's already extremely invested in the survival and care of the baby... And to have all that snatched away afterward...

It reminds me a little bit of the story of Shlomo Hamelech and the two mothers. At the end of the day , if the woman chose to save the baby's life under difficult circumstances, does she have no claim to motherhood?

banana123

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 4:26 am
My thoughts exactly, Rappel.

grace413

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 4:31 am
This is a tragedy for all involved. So sad.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 5:05 am
Here's the latest update. Sounds like it's resolved for now.

https://www.israelnationalnews.....61768

Goldie613

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 12:39 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Here's the latest update. Sounds like it's resolved for now.

https://www.israelnationalnews.....61768

The article says they may never know who the biological parents are. How does that work long term for shidduchim for this little one? Will the shadchan have to make sure she isn't set up with anyone whose parents ever used IVF???

GLUE

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 12:55 am
Goldie613 wrote:
The article says they may never know who the biological parents are. How does that work long term for shidduchim for this little one? Will the shadchan have to make sure she isn't set up with anyone whose parents ever used IVF???

I think Headlines once wrote up about a similar case.

banana123

Post Tue, Nov 01 2022, 1:13 am
Goldie613 wrote:

Halachically the birth mother is the child's mother and her husband is the child's father.

So it's not really an issue.

Anyways it's no different than any instance of sperm or egg donation.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics