Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Surfview cottage Ami serial.. Leah is my friend IRL
  Previous  1  2  3 9 10  11  12  Next

bat1

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 3:15 am
lol'ing here, because this is exactly what they wanted, for everyone to be upset (minus the literature lovers) n talk about it and then they will come with sequel or follow up as if it wasn't all planned before...

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 6:45 am
Ok so that’s not literature
That’s more of a marketing strategy then
And I think in the big picture the magazine loses readers rather than gains

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 6:55 am
amother Puce wrote:
Ok so that’s not literature
That’s more of a marketing strategy then
And I think in the big picture the magazine loses readers rather than gains

I agree
I was actually thinking this week if I should continue to buy the Ami.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Sep 30 2022, 7:40 am
As I think someone mentioned upthread - that's what they did with the last Chaya gross serial no? A pity because I actually liked this one but ending like this just makes me feel manipulated.

momX4

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 8:54 pm
I missed 2 words last week Crying
"The End"

There was no ending. I couldn't find the next installment this week, so I pulled out last week's magazine. I was soon disappointed. I don't usually read the series, this one looked so interesting.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 9:22 pm
Bothered me that the note from editor didn’t even mention the end of series in her weekly letter.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 01 2022, 11:53 pm
Her serials tend to follow a pattern. (same as Chava and Sholom) A lot of confusion, back n forth every week, drag it out, and then end it suddenly, without making any sense.

Also, the writing is poor. It's the gossip that make people curious to continue reading. Both of her stories were about a couple having marriage problems.

amother
Lightpink

Post Sun, Oct 02 2022, 1:03 am
amother Pink wrote:
Her serials tend to follow a pattern. (same as Chava and Sholom) A lot of confusion, back n forth every week, drag it out, and then end it suddenly, without making any sense.

Also, the writing is poor. It's the gossip that make people curious to continue reading. Both of her stories were about a couple having marriage problems.

This completely.
When I read her serials, I feel like I’m reading a HS students poorly written work. The writing is terrible.
The “draw” for many is the gossip and scandals. It’s a certain type that goes for it, and they’re not looking for Shakespeare.

workingmom123

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:49 pm
PSA: there will be a sequel to Sunview Cottages in the Ami Sukkos magazine, finishing up the serial and tying up the loose ends

sarahph1

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:52 pm
workingmom123 wrote:
PSA: there will be a sequel to Sunview Cottages in the Ami Sukkos magazine, finishing up the serial and tying up the loose ends

How do you know?!!!

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 3:08 pm
workingmom123 wrote:

That’s weird. Why didn’t they say??
Did they read this thread and realize most people are upset?

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:44 pm
workingmom123 wrote:

Not exactly a sequel but an epilogue. At least the story is finally ended and we find out how things went. Very Happy

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:20 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
Not exactly a sequel but an epilogue. At least the story is finally ended and we find out how things went. Very Happy

🤔

Genius

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:26 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
This completely.
When I read her serials, I feel like I’m reading a HS students poorly written work. The writing is terrible.
The “draw” for many is the gossip and scandals. It’s a certain type that goes for it, and they’re not looking for Shakespeare.

Wow!
The writing is really really not bad. And I love the gossip and scandals! Lashon hara with fictional characters is a treat. I guess I'm "a type".

I guess your bad review is because you're angry that the story didn't finish?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:30 pm
Genius wrote:
Wow!
The writing is really really not bad. And I love the gossip and scandals! Lashon hara with fictional characters is a treat. I guess I'm "a type".

I guess your bad review is because you're angry that the story didn't finish?

Not necessarily. I agree. As a writer and someone who enjoyed sophisticated literature work, she does lack that professional touch.

There isn’t much art in the actual writing.
She has a great imagination but for a magazine, being “really not bad”, (your words) simply isn’t enough.

They reject so many articles. The editors certainly can do better.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:39 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Not necessarily. I agree. As a writer and someone who enjoyed sophisticated literature work, she does lack that professional touch.

She has a great imagination but for a magazine, being “really not bad”, (your words) simply isn’t enough.

Honestly, people were following the story and bought the magazine just to turn to the next chapter.
It doesn’t matter what type of writing it was. The story kept people intrigued which is why everyone is annoyed that it basically stopped abruptly without an ending.
We’re not discussing the writer or her style. The issue here is that the story had many people buying the magazine and then this story is done without really ever finishing.
I bought the succos Ami today. I’m not even sure I want to start with a new story if after many months it will end without properly finishing up.

Genius

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:39 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:

I don't recall her writing style offhand. I don't remember it being bad so I wrote really really (you forgot the second one lol) not bad. I don't see why you have to harp on the fact that the English isn't Shakespeare level. She obviously knows how to build her characters and knows how to spin the story to make it exaggerated but still believable. I enjoyed it.

BTW if you enjoy a well written piece you can recommend a good novel.

it’s okay!

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:52 pm
Genius wrote:
I don't recall her writing style offhand. I don't remember it being bad so I wrote really really (you forgot the second one lol) not bad. I don't see why you have to harp on the fact that the English isn't Shakespeare level. She obviously knows how to build her characters and knows how to spin the story to make it exaggerated but still believable. I enjoyed it.

BTW if you enjoy a well written piece you can recommend a good novel.

I agree. Her characters are very relatable, I feel like I get to know them a lot more than in the other serials.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:00 pm
I was going to buy the sukkos edition just to read it. But then I saw the price. Wasn’t worth it.

Angel

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:02 pm
I agree the price is... but it's my oneg yom tov!!
If you are located in brooklyn you can have mine when am done, might even be in time for second days!
Page 10 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 9 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room