Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Help me plan for a nice YT

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:43 pm
I want ideas of how I can make YT nice for myself, so that I don't look back at it as one big blur of serving/clearing/cooking/sleeping/cleaning/kids.

I know all the hacks about making things easier and taking shortcuts and will do what I can.

But something positive that I will walk out of YT uplifted and as a positive experience, not something I survived. Trying to be proactive but coming up blank.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:50 pm
Keeping a schedule is the first thing that comes to mind. Not sure your kids ages but you can try even with all the Chaggim and fun, keep a normal sleeping schedule, for your kids and also for yourself. Don't crash at two in the morning. mealtime, baths, bedtime. You need to sleep well and eat well. Start the day early, Dressing, davening, eating, then you can do your daily activity.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:16 pm
Are there any shuirim that you are interested in?

A sukka hop for women only (men can stay home and watch the kids for an hour or 2)

A walk with friends?

I am social by nature, what do you enjoy?

scruffy

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:34 pm
Get yourself a new book for Yom Tov.

Maybe your husband could watch the kids for a few hours one night of Chol Hamoed and you can get out with a friend?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:40 pm
I consider books, games and toys for the kids gifts to myself as well LOL

Get yourself reading material.

See if you can arrange a nap and a walk by yourself each day.

teachkids

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:42 pm
Would it make you feel better to go to shul on yT mornings?

happy7

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:11 pm
Daven something special every day

mha3484

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:54 pm
I get out of the house every day. After lunch I take my kids on a walk and to the park. They see friends and so do I. Its great for my mental health.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 5:50 pm
I try to get a book from the library and pick up some chocolate or other nosh just for me. I may not get a ton of reading time in, but I feel like even a few minutes late at night after the kids are settled and the "work day" is done, time that is just for me, is a huge help to my staying calm and feeling like I got some enjoyment out of the chag, too.

If you want something more social, or more yiddishkeit based, what about going to a women's shiur, or visiting with a friend? If your kids are having a playdate, can you arrange for their friends' mom(s) and you to hang out together at the same time while the kids play?

Before life got so busy, what made a chag a chag for you? If you could do anything - no matter how impractical - as part of your enjoyment, what would you choose? Once you know that, see if any piece of that can be pulled off so that you can get closer to how you'd like things to be.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics