Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
POLL: Mikva erev yom kippur, do you go?
Previous  1  2

Do you go to mikva erev yom kippur?
Yes, chassidish  
 27%  [ 82 ]
Yes, non chassidish  
 3%  [ 9 ]
No, chassidish  
 20%  [ 61 ]
No, non chassidish  
 49%  [ 147 ]
Total Votes : 299

amother
Gardenia

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 11:57 pm
thanks wrote:
What neighborhood are you in? Did you check if it's open, or are you assuming? It's a pretty widespread minhag.

I didn’t check, no

I live on the UWS

Eta I did check just now. Website said erev YK: closed

According to the poll results it’s not as widespread as you think

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:08 am
Non - Chassidish. I like the idea, and it is something I would consider if I had extra time (no little kids, for starters), but at this point in my life it is not for me.

I actually like the mitzvah of mikvah (I know many don't), but I don't like fasting (I dread it like I dread getting a tooth filling), so the appeal is that adding mikvah would add a sense of pleasant holiness to YK that for me is a holiday that I associate with unpleasant holiness. But at this stage in my life (many small children) I just can't.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:08 am
Chabad. My mother and grandmothers went. I always feel sick after dipping. I get nauseous and feel very dried out, mild dehydrated. So I don’t go Erev YK.

amother
Clover

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:10 am
Chassidish. Used to go, stopped a couple years ago. Never again.

It’s too triggering for me and does more harm than good.

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:30 am
Chassidish. I'm married for several years but never had a chance to go yet. I was dreading it but it was not half bad! I went right when they opened, so it was mostly empty and clean. One dunk and out. It felt like holy prep for a holy day and it was good to get out of the house a bit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:52 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
For future reference, 'never looked back' usually means you have continued to do the thing ever since then. Smile

Never looked back is also used when someone doesn't regret a decision they made or something that they started or stopped doing. So she continued not going erev YK since she decided to stop. She doesn't regret her decision.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:56 am
I got a psak to start doing this after menopause. (Lubavitch)

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:07 am
I’m Chabad. The first year I was married my mil told me about it and made it seem like a must. She also made it seem like I had to go to particular mikvah. So I went.
It was a mess, tons of clothes everywhere people walking in while I was getting changed. Then waiting on line for a long time. And when I finally went into the Mikva it was gross- the temperature was disgusting and there was hair everywhere.
Since then I never bring it up I just don’t go. This year my husband asked if I’m going I said no. He really wanted me to but I told him how it was and he said he understands bh! And then he said by 749 (the mens mikva) the men are waiting on line but not wearing a bathrobe. I’m happy I’m not a boy. And they go to the mikvah three or four times erev Yom Kippur so it’s really gross. Plus not all of them shower before and there are about 2000 people using it. I give him credit for going.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:10 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
I’m Chabad. The first year I was married my mil told me about it and made it seem like a must. She also made it seem like I had to go to particular mikvah. So I went.
It was a mess, tons of clothes everywhere people walking in while I was getting changed. Then waiting on line for a long time. And when I finally went into the Mikva it was gross- the temperature was disgusting and there was hair everywhere.
Since then I never bring it up I just don’t go. This year my husband asked if I’m going I said no. He really wanted me to but I told him how it was and he said he understands bh! And then he said by 749 (the mens mikva) the men are waiting on line but not wearing a bathrobe. I’m happy I’m not a boy. And they go to the mikvah three or four times erev Yom Kippur so it’s really gross. Plus not all of them shower before and there are about 2000 people using it. I give him credit for going.

Yeah, every time I think about what happens at a mens mikva every morning or erev shabbos my stomach turns. And when I ask my husband how he has no idea what I want from him.

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:10 am
Are you asking about if its after your 5 + days that happen to fall on E YK?

Otherwise, If its just for the Yom Tov, I know Chasidim do. Litvish do not.

Anyone Chasidish know an explaination and a source why a woman would?
I understand reason for men Tvila.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 3:24 pm
There is no " sometimes" option? I want to go, but half the time it doesn't happen. There is only the night before option where I live, & dh is at work then. Also when it's within several days of dunking I tend to be lazy to go again. Chasidish

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 3:26 pm
amother Hosta wrote:
Are you asking about if its after your 5 + days that happen to fall on E YK?

Otherwise, If its just for the Yom Tov, I know Chasidim do. Litvish do not.

Anyone Chasidish know an explaination and a source why a woman would?
I understand reason for men Tvila.

If you mean the men go because they did the deed, it's the same reason for women.

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:22 pm
Couldn't even if I wanted to. They give it over to the men. Which is fine because this is mainly a nonchassidish area and women here
don't have this custom.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:33 pm
amother Mimosa wrote:
Couldn't even if I wanted to. They give it over to the men. Which is fine because this is mainly a nonchassidish area and women here
don't have this custom.

A lot of people go the night before. The regular mikvah probably would be okay with it.

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 4:42 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
How is it different than being in a swimming pool with other people?
They all have chlorine or saltwater.

The mikvah I went to that year made me feel slimy all over. It was like dunking in water with grease, and I remember I had a pube on my leg. I dunked late, like maybe 2pm to 4pm, so the water was pretty gross by then 😩
I had to take a shower after I came home. And a swimming pool is different because there’s more water because it’s bigger and less people.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur