Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
For those with a baby

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:31 am
This is my first YK with a baby. She’s 7 months and I’m nursing. I would like to go to shul if I can. What would you recommend? If I have someone to watch her tonight, should I go and stay home all of tomorrow? Or should I stay home tonight and go with her tomorrow for a bit? (My shul is 15-20 min walk away)

What has worked for you in the past?

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:33 am
My experience is unless shul has babysitting a 7 month old can’t be quiet in shul and it’s discourteous to disturb others davening. Get a babysitter (if you want) either tonight or tomorrow and go but leave her home. Or stay home with her and daven what you can from home

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:33 am
Fasting while I'm nursing is harder than when I was pregnant. I would not set out on a 15-20 minute walk pushing a carriage while fasting for the past over 12 hours.

s1

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:35 am
Save your strength and daven at home
It’s hard not being able to go to Shul but fasting while nursing, especially a slightly older baby, is really difficult, and you don’t want to put extra stress on your body by walking all that way, both ways.
Maybe there’s a nearly Shul you can go to for a bit?

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:51 am
Remember that you need to fast, not daven in shul. If walking 40 min round-trip and nursing will make fasting too hard then you have to prioritize the fasting and daven on the couch. It's not easy mentally because it feels better to go to shul but that's the actual mitzvah of the day. That's why I wrote my letter to mothers (it's in a different thread) to help you accept this new reality.

That said I'd probably go tonight bc you know she's sleeping for X amount of hours, you have more energy now and it's not hot tomorrow to walk. Daytime babysitting with no communication is stressful for me even if I leave a bottle

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 11:52 am
I would only go tonight. Nursing takes a lot out of you.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:00 pm
Got it. Thank you all for the advice!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur