Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Hostess gift I can fit in my suitcase
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:12 am
I’m flying, and have very limited room in my suitcase. Any ideas for a gift I can get my hostess (hosting sleeping for 4 days, no meals) that doesn’t weigh a lot/take up a lot of space?

boat

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:13 am
Handtowel set
Picture frame set
Gift card

SG18

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:33 am
Salt and pepper shakers

EBY

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:05 am
Themed table runner

salt

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:06 am
Tablecloth.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:21 am
I'm not flying but looking for an idea for a hostess gift for first day of YT.
I always hesitate about bringing an object like runner, serving dish etc. because you really have to hit it right with the hostess' taste. I usually go with wine or choclate now.
But we go to this family every year for YT I would really like to bring something nice this time, would love a good suggestion (live in israel).

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:27 am
If you know they don't have one, an al hamichya or asher yatzer wall plaque. Light and thin. I've brought these a few tunes. They're generic enough.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:33 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I always hesitate about bringing an object like runner, serving dish etc. because you really have to hit it right with the hostess' taste. I usually go with wine or choclate now.
But we go to this family every year for YT I would really like to bring something nice this time, would love a good suggestion (live in israel).

Don't know how much you are willing to spend but a set of birkat hamazon printed on hard plastic squares that come in a matching stand is useful and beautiful.

SG18

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:47 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
Don't know how much you are willing to spend but a set of birkat hamazon printed on hard plastic squares that come in a matching stand is useful and beautiful.

Make sure you know their nusach! Someone got us Ashkenazi brachot cards and, while it was a nice idea, we literally never use them.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:58 am
chanchy123 wrote:

On spot.
If you buy a gift then make sure to include an exchange voucher.
Wine and chocolate always a safe thing.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:07 am
Pretty serving utensils but not knives which could be flagged

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:24 am
I would say buy a bouquet of flowers when you land at your destination. Most airports will have a gift shop with fresh flowers or you could even just make a quick stop. Alternatively, you could have a flower delivery arranged the day before with a note " Thank you for hosting us. Looking forward to seeing you soon!"

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:36 am
Place mats in a solid color (or gold/silver) can pack flat and are useful. I also agree with serving spoons or hand towels. If you are going out of the country, American magazines or paperbacks are also appreciated if you know the interests of your host. You could also do a board game for the children if you find one in a flatter box. Melamine trays are extremely useful for Sukkot and could go inside a suitcase wrapped with bubblewrap (don't tape shut in case airline needs to inspect it.) Safe travels.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 7:40 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:
I would say buy a bouquet of flowers when you land at your destination. Most airports will have a gift shop with fresh flowers or you could even just make a quick stop. Alternatively, you could have a flower delivery arranged the day before with a note " Thank you for hosting us. Looking forward to seeing you soon!"

We just finished shmitta. I think there are rules for when we can start buying flowers as they were grown during shmittah year.

4g01o

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:11 am
amother Rainbow wrote:

They're heavy (and expensive)

mp5

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:12 am
My go-to gift for these situations is a Shabbos night-light, the kind that you can move a panel to cover the light. It is not large or heavy and a family can usually use it for themselves or their guest room even if they already have one.

4g01o

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:19 am
I'd go to my local gift shop, see what's there. And explain to the sales person what you're after. I'm sure they have lots of good ideas.

The last gift that I gave as a nice set of benchers in a magnetic holder. Very small and light.

amother
Celeste

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:23 am
amother Rainbow wrote:

And we have 2000 benchers from simchas. Please do not bring any more into my home. I don’t care how beautiful they are.

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:27 am
amother Celeste wrote:
And we have 2000 benchers from simchas. Please do not bring any more into my home. I don’t care how beautiful they are.

I hear you, lol!!
The great thing about these though, is that they replace all other benchers and can be wiped down so they don't get tatty and stained

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:28 am
amother Celeste wrote:

I hear you, lol!!
The great thing about these though, is that they replace all other benchers and can be wiped down so they don't get tatty and stained
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics