Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Any heter to wash face or teeth? How do you go to shul

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 7:45 pm
on yom kippur without washing your face or brushing/rinsing your mouth, it's so hard.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 7:46 pm
You just do. Everyone does

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:27 pm
The beauty of wearing a COVID mask is that you don't have to feel self-conscious about your breath. Or your face, come to think of it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:27 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:

I don't.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:28 pm
zaq wrote:
The beauty of wearing a COVID mask is that you don't have to feel self-conscious about your breath. Or your face, come to think of it.

Are there Shuls where most people are still wearing masks? Or your advising op to be from the 2%?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:30 pm
zaq wrote:

Then you just smell yourself the whole time and it's gross

rising hero

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:30 pm
If someone gets close enough to smell your breath then theyre invading your personal space. So they deserve it. Wink
Everyone is fasting and no one is brushing their teeth. Sure, its uncomfortable but thats the point of fasting.

effess

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:48 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:

OP, before you start a new practice, You might consider finding out if it’s permissible.
I’m no rov, so you can go by what I say. I’ve learned that it’s not permissible and although I find it gross, I just don’t. Whoever says everyone does it is not correct.

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:51 pm
effess wrote:
OP, before you start a new practice, You might consider finding out if it’s permissible.
I’m no rov, so you can go by what I say. I’ve learned that it’s not permissible and although I find it gross, I just don’t. Whoever says everyone does it is not correct.

I think the poster you quoted meant that everyone just deals with not washing their face and teeth.

miami85

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 8:52 pm
I believe only a kallah within 30 days of her wedding has a heter to wash her face.

I try to brush teeth/mouthwash just before YK so that my breath is fresher before YK.

It's a day when you aren't supposed to be focusing on these things. If it bothers you I believe its better to stay home than find a heter for these things.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 9:01 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
I don't.

You don’t what?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 9:02 pm
amother Marigold wrote:
I think the poster you quoted meant that everyone just deals with not washing their face and teeth.

Correct. Of course. Her title asked a question “how do people do it?” And I answered it.

effess

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 9:29 pm
amother Marigold wrote:

Sorry for my misunderstanding!

Elfrida

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:48 pm
I have learnt that after you minimally wash neigal wasser in the morning, you are allowed to rub your still damp fingers over your eyes in order to clear any gunk left there from sleep.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2022, 11:55 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I have learnt that after you minimally wash neigal wasser in the morning, you are allowed to rub your still damp fingers over your eyes in order to clear any gunk left there from sleep.

I learned this too.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:09 am
amother OP wrote:
on yom kippur without washing your face or brushing/rinsing your mouth, it's so hard.

Proportions is the answer. It's Yom Kippur *once a year*.

salt

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:13 am
Interesting fact - one of the first mishnayot of masechet Yoma says that a king and a new bride (within 30 days of being married) may wash their face on YK.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:42 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
You don’t what?

I misunderstood thinking that 'everyone does' means everyone washes their face. I answered back that I don't wash my face or brush my teeth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur