Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What to serve on men's side for Bar Mitzvah kiddish
Previous  1  2

scruffy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:56 am
I love the term equal opportunity kiddush. I always swap with my dh - I get him fancy cake, he gets me cholent Smile

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:00 am
scruffy wrote:
I love the term equal opportunity kiddush. I always swap with my dh - I get him fancy cake, he gets me cholent Smile

Like who decided that women don't like cholent, anyway?
I guess the same people who decided that men don't like cake What

amother
Amaryllis

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:10 am
amother OP wrote:
Bh made my bar mitzvah.
I put out for the men some fancy cakes and pasta salad in addition to kugel chulent and herring and schnapps.
The men came to thank me for putting out fancy cakes but they did complain about certain cakes that were only by the women they wanted.
Can't win.

While I can certainly sympathize with people wanting additional fancy cakes, I can't imagine complaining to a host about what they provided. How rude! Griping anonymously to virtual friends on imafather would be fine, but actually complaining to the host is not appropriate.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:13 am
I'm also a stickler for allowing the women anything that the men have.
We may have fewer platters but everyone gets everything.
The only real food my crowd puts out is chulent and potato kugel. Sometimes Yerushalmi but rarely.
Other than that we put out cakes, miniatures, cookies and lots of candy which the kids gobble up.
Sometimes a collection of tasty salads.
Occasionally I'll see crackers with herring but never a lot.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:49 am
In my shul they don't allow cholent only potato kugel. They also don't serve herring. You have issues with fish and fleishigs.

The men get turkey salad, cakes/cookies, potato kugel, and soda. A fancier kiddush will have a pasta salad and fruit. Shnaps if the baal simcha adds.

a2z

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:45 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
In my shul they don't allow cholent only potato kugel. They also don't serve herring. You have issues with fish and fleishigs.

The men get turkey salad, cakes/cookies, potato kugel, and soda. A fancier kiddush will have a pasta salad and fruit. Shnaps if the baal simcha adds.

U can have pareve cholent
(Its also cheaper)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note