Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
S/O Kids in bathroom - yay or nay?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you bring your kids into the bathroom when you're using it?
Of course - gotta keep 'em safe  
 5%  [ 9 ]
Sure - if they'll be crying otherwise  
 10%  [ 18 ]
Sometimes - I don't really have a policy  
 31%  [ 56 ]
No - except for real emergencies  
 53%  [ 97 ]
Total Votes : 180

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:22 am
Maybe I need my own thread here but I always feel awkward with kids and public bathrooms. Example: I go out with my 8 year old son. He needs to use the bathroom. He goes the mens bathroom alone while I wait outside by the hallway? I'm scared to let him go alone in a mall mens bathroom! or Do I take him to womens bathroom where I can wait outside the stall for him?

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:46 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
Maybe I need my own thread here but I always feel awkward with kids and public bathrooms. Example: I go out with my 8 year old son. He needs to use the bathroom. He goes the mens bathroom alone while I wait outside by the hallway? I'm scared to let him go alone in a mall mens bathroom! or Do I take him to womens bathroom where I can wait outside the stall for him?

You take him to the women's bathroom.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:47 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
I do that too. But doesn't it look funny to people watching that your walking in with big kid into stall. Especially if it's a boy?

It doesn't look funny because it's a normal thing to do and I always see people doing it. And if a stranger thinks it's funny, who cares? You do what you feel is safe.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:52 am
thanks camellia!
One of those questions that always have in the moment but forget to ask other times

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:56 am
honestly I think this whole conversation is weird. I really don’t think a baby or young child is scarred from being in the bathroom with a parent. I obviously prefer privacy and quiet in the bathroom but it is obvious to me that the safety of my children comes first. so it really depends on the situation. I really don’t get the dramatics here

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:57 am
I can’t answer the poll because it totally depends on the age of the kid. Babies for sure. Currently I have an almost two year old. He really can’t be left unsupervised. If I need the bathroom for more than a minute, I lock the door to my room and turn on a movie for him. I then leave the bathroom door open so I can hear him and make sure he’s not getting into trouble. Even though he can unlock the bedroom door, I figure I’ll hear the click. Public bathrooms I bring kids in until much older (8 for girls? Don’t remember) and have them turn around. I always use the handicap stalls.

taketwo

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:27 pm
bcb wrote:
I have a baby and a 3 yrs old. If I want my baby to stay alive I have to take 1 of them w me.
So take the baby with you. In a car seat or similar. But taking a verbal child in is a whole different story

taketwo

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:30 pm
I think public bathrooms are a whole different ball game. Kids under 5 I take with me and tell them to turn around. Over 5 I make them stand right outside the stall door so I can see their feet at all times. Obvs depends how much I trust the child to stay put and where the public bathrooms are. The riskier the location the more likely I will have them inside with me, turned around. And I try my best to "hold it in" til we get home, if applicable.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:33 pm
tichellady wrote:
honestly I think this whole conversation is weird. I really don’t think a baby or young child is scarred from being in the bathroom with a parent. I obviously prefer privacy and quiet in the bathroom but it is obvious to me that the safety of my children comes first. so it really depends on the situation. I really don’t get the dramatics here

It's not about the child being scarred. It's about maintaining and demonstrating personal space and privacy. A child that talks and understands is to old to see mom peeing/pooping/wiping themselves. That's a breach of boundaries and we want to demonstrate to our children proper boundaries.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:49 pm
So if I'm home alone with my 2yo I'll use the bathroom and keep the door a bit open so I can hear what shes doing. Sometimes she comes to see what's going on but I'm trying to teach her that she can't come in while I'm in there. I also cover myself up if she's there
Didn't realize that I might be scarring her 😳

observer

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:03 pm
I would take an infant with me. Not a toddler or older.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:12 pm
Depended on age and situation.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:23 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I would have marked "sometimes" but I do have a policy on it so I didn't vote.

If at home - nope! I need thirty seconds for me and the kids can just deal (and learn that Imas can have thirty seconds to themselves).

If outside in a public bathroom, then it depends their age. If they are still in the stroller, I'll use the handicap stall and take the stroller in with me. If they are older, but still too little to stay outside the bathroom, I bring them into the women's room but not the stall - they stand by the door with their backs against the door so I can see their shoes the whole time.

If it's a private bathroom situation (think like a one person store or office bathroom) and the kids are too little to stay out of the bathroom (thankfully didn't happen often), I might bring them in with me with instructions to turn around or play with their toys or whatever while I used the bathroom. Think that only happen a few times over the years, thankfully. If they were a bit older, I'd have them talk to me from outside the bathroom to make sure they hadn't wandered off.

This, word for word.

And I voted "never" because that's my policy in general.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:14 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:

Some malls have what they call "family bathrooms" - they've got a changing table, sometimes a chair for nursing, sometimes a kid size toilet to go with the adult size one - it varies. The point is, you can let him use one of those and no one else will be in there with him.

The one time I was stuck sending an older boy into a public men's bathroom alone, I literally (so awkward, but I didn't know what else to do) walked with him to the doorway of the bathroom, and made sure as he went in to be seen and to talk to him, along the lines of "ok, I'll be right here when you get out". I knew it wasn't a great guarantee of safety, but I figured if C"V someone was looking to start up with a kid, they'd be less likely to start up with one who had an adult waiting right outside the door.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:43 pm
A little baby yes absolutely

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:48 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
At home, no. I used to let. These days it’s a boundary I won’t let any kid break. I don’t even let them talk to me through the bathroom door unless it’s a real emergency (like blood or fire).
I’m not in the bathroom long enough for them not to be able to wait.
When we’re out and about it depends on the situation but I really try not to. The one time I took my 2 year old in to the stall with me he opened the door just as I was finishing up. Talk about embarrassment.

Just had to comment on this part - that's almost exactly how I've defined emergencies to the kids! If I need five minutes to get something done, I'll tell them I can't help right now unless someone's bleeding or throwing up Rolling Laughter

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:49 pm
At home, no. If I had a crawling baby, they can go in their crib/bouncer/stroller for 2 mins while I use the bathroom. Over the years, though, I did take babies into the bathroom at times if I needed a shower and they weren't asleep.
Public restrooms I bring babies and toddlers in with me. Preschoolers and up I have them wait at the door so I can see their feet the whole time. If it's a public restroom with a full door- I wouldn't be able to see them (like a gas station), I take them in with me and have them stand facing the door.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:34 pm
How about just plain No. (Can’t think of what emergency would necessitate it.)

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:35 pm
If my child is ever with me in the bathroom I am fully covered the whole time!
Nothing to see.
Unless it’s an infant, then I don’t think about it.
There have definitely been different circumstances when a child has been there with me. But either turned away and fully covered, or just fully covered.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:20 am
So apparently, cats didn't get memo then?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics