Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Coat in Car Seat Solution?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:54 pm
I live in an apartment building in Brooklyn. I have a one year old baby. Last year, I used my doona with a 7 am cover, but he is now too big for the doona. I know you are not supposed to wear puffer coats in car seats. My issue is that my car is often parked 1-2 blocks from my house. How do I carry my baby to the car every morning? I do not have remote start, so even if I take his coat off once he gets in the car, he will be cold. When it gets really cold, bundling him in a sweater/blanket won’t be sufficient. What is a good solution?

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:59 pm
I found walking with a coat and then bundling them with a sweater, thin blanket over the straps tucked around them and then thick blanket over works fine. I also keep their hat and mittens on. That's usually enough until the car heats up.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:02 pm
Keep baby in coat till you get to the car. When I’m the car take off coat and switch to blanket

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:03 pm
https://www.carters.com/carter......html

This is safe for a car seat.

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:09 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
https://www.carters.com/carters-baby-girl-one-pieces/V_1N962610.html

There are other coats which are specifically manufactured for car seats. They have less filler in the area where the belt goes. There are a few that are made to be easier to use in a car seat.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:06 pm
Put coat back on backwards after buckling

mizle10

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:12 pm
I don't have a solution for you. It's freezing where I live (up to -40) and I've never seen anyone take off their kids coat in the car. Whenever I post it I get bashed.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:32 pm
https://thecarseatlady.com/warmandsafe/

I bought a buckle me baby coat but found the zippers annoying.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:10 pm
With my one year old, took him till car in coat, undressed and put back on when left car.

This year he’s 2, got the one kid- road coat.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:11 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I don't have a solution for you. It's freezing where I live (up to -40) and I've never seen anyone take off their kids coat in the car. Whenever I post it I get bashed.

People are just uninformed. Doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:16 pm
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
https://www.carters.com/carters-baby-girl-one-pieces/V_1N962610.html

No, it's not. If it's not made by the car seat manufacturer, it's not safe to put it in the car seat with your baby. Full stop.

Furthermore there is nothing on that coat to indicate that it is intended for use in a car seat.

amother
Hyssop

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 4:47 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
No, it's not. If it's not made by the car seat manufacturer, it's not safe to put it in the car seat with your baby. Full stop.

Furthermore there is nothing on that coat to indicate that it is intended for use in a car seat.

It's fleece
Babies wear fleece all the time. Are you suggesting it's necessary to completely undress baby for the carseat? No clothes I've ever bought have been made by the carseat manufacturer, nor has any label to indicate its intended for the carseat.

amother
Crocus

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:09 pm

It’s isn’t a coat. It’s a full bodysuit hoodie.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 5:47 pm

The issue with coats afaik is puffer coats which have air bulking up the coat so when the seatbelt is fastened around the coat, it isn't really as tight as it should be. Any other coat, sweater etc that is not a puffer style should be fine.

Mommy1:)

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:07 pm
just wanted to thank you for bringing this important topic up! This video shows why coats are so dangerous in car seats...

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:59 pm
I have the One kid Roadcoat and love it. It's cute, comfortable, and will last hom two seasons. It's a little pricey but it's a small investment to keep my kid safe. Cheaper than a Doona Wink

https://onekid.com/collections.....black

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:10 pm
How cold we talking here?

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:13 pm
I’ve never had to walk quite so far with the baby, but we do a fleece full body suit (the Carter’s one someone linked) for infants or a fleece jacket for older kids and each kid has a car blanket in their car seat to tuck in with (they generally get replaced every year because they do get gross from muddy feet in the early spring as things thaw.
I leave a separate winter coat at school for outdoor playtime.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 9:28 pm
Buckle your child in the car without a coat. Make sure the straps fit snugly. Now put on his coat and buckle him again. If you can buckle him without loosening the straps then he’s safe like that.

Most people loosen the straps to fit the coat. The loose straps is why it’s dangerous.

Fleece jackets are fine for carseats.

amother
Firethorn

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:19 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Buckle your child in the car without a coat. Make sure the straps fit snugly. Now put on his coat and buckle him again. If you can buckle him without loosening the straps then he’s safe like that.

Most people loosen the straps to fit the coat. The loose straps is why it’s dangerous.

Fleece jackets are fine for carseats.

THIS. If it fits with the straps not having to be loosened it is considered safe. Loose straps are an issue because in an accident the coat gets compressed and the baby can fly out CV.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics