Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Coat in Car Seat Solution?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:51 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
How cold we talking here?

Brooklyn can get pretty cold- like 0 degrees Celsius and a little below that, too.

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Brooklyn can get pretty cold- like 0 degrees Celsius and a little below that, too.

Meh. Even I don't always put on a big winter coat at 0 degrees Celsius. Toddler in a warm sweater might feel a little bit chilly while the car warms up, but will ultimately be fine.

Anyways, as I think some others have mentioned, you can dress the child warmly without the bulk, and they also sell different kinds of car seat covers to keep kids warm that are safe. You want one that doesn't have any parts that go under him or under the straps.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:13 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Buckle your child in the car without a coat. Make sure the straps fit snugly. Now put on his coat and buckle him again. If you can buckle him without loosening the straps then he’s safe like that.

Most people loosen the straps to fit the coat. The loose straps is why it’s dangerous.

Fleece jackets are fine for carseats.

I hear what you’re saying, but if I buckle my child snuggly in with only her clothes, I probably will have to loosen the straps a little to buckle her in with a fleece sweater or 2. Shouldn’t there be a normal amount of ‘give’ that the sweater is bulky and taking up the space and it’s not potentially compressed air?

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:41 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I hear what you’re saying, but if I buckle my child snuggly in with only her clothes, I probably will have to loosen the straps a little to buckle her in with a fleece sweater or 2. Shouldn’t there be a normal amount of ‘give’ that the sweater is bulky and taking up the space and it’s not potentially compressed air?

lucky14

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:41 am
BrisketBoss wrote:

I do not put my kids in the car with coats on but this is the issue I have with these test videos- those straps were NOT tight with that coat on. Even when he put his kid in the car with the coat on he jiggled those straps and said they felt tight but wow I make mine so much tighter. So that + the puffy coat and of course the kid will go flying out.

So what about my kids thick sweatshirt? It’s not puffed full of air. It has a fuzzy material lining and is just thick material. I do the straps tight. Yes if I take the sweatshirt off of course the straps will be a little looser than when there is no sweatshirt on. But does that mean it isn’t safe? I’m asking for real. Not trying to challenge. I just can’t get an answer for myself based on their exaggerated videos they keep showing.

Rappel

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:53 am
You can unzip the coat, strap the baby in firmly, and then zip it up in front of the straps. No slippery surface, and no loosening the straps.

Window

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:58 am
Some good practical options here
https://safeintheseat.com/winter-safety/

mizle10

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 8:47 am
amother OP wrote:

LOL

I'm talking about -30 and some days of -40 here and there.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 9:32 am
All 7 kids wore coats in car seats. You need to adjust the straps and make sure its tight fitting. I think everything is controversial but this is all nonsense!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics