Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
S/o bedroom size. What is the narrowest possible?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:06 am
What is the narrowest possible to have 2 beds (hi-riser) with a small space in between for a narrow nightstand? also how much space do you need in between, I'm thinking a 1 ft wide mini nightstand, is that enough space (halachically for nida and for walking)? I mean literally narrowest possible to fit. It would be a guest room, and plenty room in the length so it won't be tiny in every direction. Thanks.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:13 am
One foot sounds very narrow. You need enough space to walk comfortably between the beds without turning to walk sideways or bumping into the person on the bed. I imagine even putting linen on the bed in such a tight space would be challenging.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:21 am
We have this with 18 inches. We got a very light, easily carryable end table. We keep the high riser collapsed with just one bed most of the time, and when we need both beds for guests, we move the end table, take out the bed, and put it back. It's tight but manageable.

rachelmom1

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 11:56 am
They used to sell 33inch beds would that help.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:04 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
We have this with 18 inches. We got a very light, easily carryable end table. We keep the high riser collapsed with just one bed most of the time, and when we need both beds for guests, we move the end table, take out the bed, and put it back. It's tight but manageable.

Would you say that's the minimum space possible to be manageable?

And yeah, that's what I had in mind...keep hiriser closed unless needed and an end table that can be moved easily

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:09 pm
If the room is long and narrow, is it possible to put the beds the other way around and have more space in between?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Jul 25 2019, 12:49 pm
I do space planning and residential & kitchen design professionally. Regarding nidda, I have heard 24" if you can manage it. For sure the bedclothes should not touch, and anyway, you need enough room to walk between the beds.

For a standard daybed with frame of 41" wide + the trundle at 39" + walking space of 22" you would need 102". That's 8 1/2 feet. If you don't have that, consider narrower beds.

Fave

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 10:44 pm
Bumping this up with a different question.

My ds has a narrowish bedroom 8.5 feet that works with a twin size
Daybed along one wall and a dresser against the other. The bedroom has a door that is the only access way to our backyard. Now over sukkahs, it’s become a hassle to have to use the bedroom as walkway to and back from the sukkah (with food, dishes, guests….).

We are thinking of further narrowing down the room by dividing it to only 5 feet and using the remaining 3 feet as a hallway to the backyard. We will be able to keep the twin bed, but need to remove the dresser.

My ds will be 13 soon and doesn’t spend much time in his room. He leaves the house early and comes home late. We have other spaces in the house where he hangs out (basement music room,
Family room, living room, etc,)

Once he starts boarding in Yeshiva (in 3-4 years) we will use this room as a kids guest room as it’s adjacent to a bigger room that will also be converted into a guest room around that time.

My question is if a 5 feet bedroom (with a window and spacious closet) will be claustrophobic for a teen boy with a 39” twin bed along one wall.

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 11:02 pm
If you are concerned about resale, the minimum width for a bedroom is seven feet.

Is a 5-ft wide bedroom claustrophobic? Yes, but having one's own room is better than not having one. Typically when I deal with a room of this width it is for a study, not a bedroom. See if you can mock up the narrower room size with sheets and 2x4s to really understand whether this is something you and your son can live with. At best with a twin bed (39" wide) there will only be 21" left.

talented

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 11:05 pm
rachelmom1 wrote:
They used to sell 33inch beds would that help.

They still do.
I have 33" beds . 12" is too narrow for a nightable

Fave

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 11:09 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If you are concerned about resale, the minimum width for a bedroom is seven feet.

Is a 5-ft wide bedroom claustrophobic? Yes, but having one's own room is better than not having one. Typically when I deal with a room of this width it is for a study, not a bedroom. See if you can mock up the narrower room size with sheets and 2x4s to really understand whether this is something you and your son can live with. At best with a twin bed (39" wide) there will only be 21" left.

Thanks Rubber Ducky! I’m not concerned about resale as that is not on the horizon. We can always remove the dividing wall if we get to that.

My son is just fed up with everyone passing through his room to get to the backyard (kids with sticky hands, holding outdoor toys), especially now over sukkos. It’s a good idea to do a demo with the sheets.

mfb

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 11:11 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
If the room is long and narrow, is it possible to put the beds the other way around and have more space in between?

This is what I was going to say

bsy

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 11:27 pm
talented wrote:
They still do.
I have 33" beds . 12" is too narrow for a nightable

I got a 10 inch nightstand
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics