Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
How can I do Hosanna Raba

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 2:27 pm
So I never really took interest in hosanna raba, but now I've learned about and how special it is, I want to do something special with my husband or something but I don't know what, please inspire me.

Mayflower

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 2:55 pm
Daven, that's the main thing. Shlug the arovos. And have a seuda - we usually keep it light because of all the meals ahead. We eat challah, fish and dips, kreplach with chicken soup and dessert... And after that it's just rushing to get the last things ready for yom tov.

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 2:57 pm
You can say Tehillim. Theres a special Yehi Ratzon to say after each sefer on Hoshana Raba

Chanichani2248

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 4:24 pm
amother Olive wrote:
You can say Tehillim. Theres a special Yehi Ratzon to say after each sefer on Hoshana Raba

Where can I find this please?
What other things do women do on Hoshana raba? I really would like to connect to the day more.. Although usually I just leave it all the menfolk!

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 4:29 pm
amother Olive wrote:
I completed the whole tehilim already on yom kipper!

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 4:38 pm
Chanichani2248 wrote:
Where can I find this please?
What other things do women do on Hoshana raba? I really would like to connect to the day more.. Although usually I just leave it all the menfolk!

It's should be at the back of a Tehillim. It's also at the back of a siddur Beis Tefilla.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 5:18 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:

And that means you can't say it again? I've just been to a wonderful shiur on Tehillim as a narrative of Jewish history (and future) and the different forms of Hallel within Tehillim and the connection to Hoshana Raba.

Chickensoupprof

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 5:23 pm
Elfrida wrote:
And that means you can't say it again? I've just been to a wonderful shiur on Tehillim as a narrative of Jewish history (and future) and the different forms of Hallel within Tehillim and the connection to Hoshana Raba.

I'm not saying that chas ve shalom... I will try to do my best to complete but ehm... I'm really slow in reading Hebrew cuz I didnt learn it at age 3 but at age 23 basicially

bobeli

Post Sat, Oct 15 2022, 10:52 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Can you post a link please?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 12:41 am
Anything appropriate to watch or listen to tomorrow?! I’m not a big davener or tehillim saying but I want to do something

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 12:48 am
can someone post the meaningfulness of the day? like what's it all about? what are we specifically davening for? etc

Elfrida

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 6:04 am
bobeli wrote:
Can you post a link please?

Sorry, it was a real live shiur that I went to. It was zoomed, but if they make the recording available it won't be until after Yom Tov is over.

naomi2

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 6:14 am
Have a special seuda in the sukkah

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 7:34 am
naomi2 wrote:
Have a special seuda in the sukkah

If I only would have had one… don’t have one and still live in this place where there are no kosher shops, Jewish schools or mikvah. So daven for esther bas chana that she will Iyh buy a beautiful house in a Jewish area with schools, shops and mikvot ❤️

Highstrung

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 7:56 am
amother Iris wrote:
can someone post the meaningfulness of the day? like what's it all about? what are we specifically davening for? etc

This is what is written on the Chabad website.
https://www.chabad.org/library.....h.htm

dena613

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 7:57 am
Hoshanna rabba's significance, to answer that poster:
(this is not a comprehensive treatment. Others can add)

It's the final day of the teshuva season.
RH decrees written
Yk decrees signs
HR is the final chance , decree sent out

It's a day of teshuva

Extra hoshanas in tefillah (literally please save)

LK1

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 8:11 am
We are also being judged on how much rain will fall this year and most add that this is including how much Parnassa we will have.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 8:53 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:

That’s really special!! You’re amazing!
I’ve tried but never managed to complete the WHOLE sefer.

Aylat

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 9:08 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
So I never really took interest in hosanna raba, but now I've learned about and how special it is, I want to do something special with my husband or something but I don't know what, please inspire me.

OP, same. I went to shul this morning, and for me it was also a bit of a compensation for YK because I'm pregnant and didn't go to shul at all this year in order to ensure I could make it through the fast. So I focussed on the aspect of Hoshana Raba being the end of the judgement and teshuva process.

I found the hoshanot tefillot themselves fascinating - if you have access to a translation and/or commentary you could read through that. I wish I had access to an in-depth commentary.

One thing I read in the Artscroll machzor - that the aravot represent the mouth, and our power of tefilla as a nation.
Also that aravot is a name for the highest heavens - which I didn't know, and is fascinating to me since they are also the one of the 4 species that has neither taste nor smell (Torah or mitzvot).

Do you have access to aravot? You can wave and beat an aravot bundle and then daven in your own words. Or say the hoshanot from the machzor.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics