Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How do I go out while toilet training child? Any tips?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 12:42 pm
Tomo will be day 3 and I have to do shabbos shopping and take my kids to school.

My husband is away and I dont have anyone to watch him at home then.
Do I just put him in carseat/stroller with towel underneath and hope for the best?

I really do not want to out a pull up on for this.

Any ideas or tips pls?

Thanks so much.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 12:46 pm
If you have a car bring a potty along. I would go straight to the bathroom when you get to the store and again an hour later or right before you leave. Bring a change of underwear and clothing.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 12:47 pm
Dont have a potty.

.none of these are far,they are very local but they are still going out of the house.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 1:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dont have a potty.

.none of these are far,they are very local but they are still going out of the house.

This might be child specific. We went to governors island on day 6 and she had to use porta potties there! But she wasn’t having accidents and I wasn’t concerned. Is your kid. Having accidents?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 2:02 pm
Can you borrow a potty?

I would put one in the trunk and use it between stops. ;maybe both before going into the store and after, before getting back into the car.

(If you line the potty with produce bags, it makes life a whole lot easier.)

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 2:30 pm
Take child to bathroom before you leave and try insisting they should use it. Tell child they need to stay dry you will be so proud. When you come home, give something like chocolate chip for staying dry. If child says they need the bathroom, tell them you are going fast and getting them to a bathroom. They need to hold it in. You are so proud of him! Child is so big! Keep repeating yourself!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 3:05 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Take child to bathroom before you leave and try insisting they should use it. Tell child they need to stay dry you will be so proud. When you come home, give something like chocolate chip for staying dry. If child says they need the bathroom, tell them you are going fast and getting them to a bathroom. They need to hold it in. You are so proud of him! Child is so big! Keep repeating yourself!

Thank you!
This is really useful advice!

Hope Il manage to put him on before.
Took a long time earlier with a story just to make a little drip.

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 6:02 pm
My kids learn when being trained that there is bathrooms pretty much everywhere! I took my kid to bathroom in back of shoe store the other day. We've been to bathrooms in many grocery stores, pizza stores, hosiery stores etc.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Oct 20 2022, 6:05 pm
I just put a diaper on. But that’s not what you want to hear.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 3:01 am
Thanks!

Any tips otherwise?

Going crazy, on day 3 and feel like were not moving!!

This morning he ran around in circles crying and making on the floor, but wouldnt go on the toilet .
Eventually eventually he gave in but he hasnt been in hours now. Def needs as iv given him to drink.

Anyone any advice pls??

amother
Jasmine

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 3:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!

Any tips otherwise?

This morning he ran around in circles crying and making on the floor, but wouldnt go on the toilet .
Eventually eventually he gave in but he hasnt been in hours now. Def needs as iv given him to drink.

Anyone any advice pls??

An iv?!?

Why do you think this kid is ready to be toilet trained?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 3:33 am
Def needs as I've given him to drink.

Definitely think hes ready.
Hes very perceptive v mature.

Hes made in the toilet a few times.

Looking for some advice if youve btdt.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 4:39 am
amother OP wrote:
Def needs as I've given him to drink.

Definitely think hes ready.
Hes very perceptive v mature.

Hes made in the toilet a few times.

Looking for some advice if youve btdt.

Perceptive and mature does not equal ready for toilet training.

I tried to train my oldest at 2.5. After a full weekend, even though he'd successfully gone a bunch of times, he was still having a lot of accidents. So I put him back in diapers and waited six months.

Tried again at 3. Same experience. Waited six more months, even though I really felt the pressure that he was "too old" to be having this much trouble.

Tried again at 3.5. He had ONE "accident" right at the beginning. And then NONE. For weeks and weeks, he was totally dry. He was finally ready.

I think you have to cut your losses. For the record, my oldest was (is) incredibly verbal and smart and it seemed so obvious to me that he was ready. He just wasn't. Sometimes you can't tell until you try, and imo it makes sense to save you and him the aggravation and power struggle and just wait until he is. As he got older I realized he had some sensory issues that probably made it harder for him. Nothing major, but enough that it bothered him to use the toilet.

I've trained three more kids since then. Some were 100% ready earlier. Some did have accidents for the next week or two, sometimes. But by Day 3 there should be real significant progress. If you're not seeing it, it might be time to reconsider.

imaima

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 4:40 am
amother OP wrote:
Dont have a potty.

I would put a pull up on top of underwear

This way he will feel it but there will be less mess

imaima

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 4:41 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks!

Any tips otherwise?

Anyone any advice pls??

Doesn’t sound like he is ready to be without a diaper in public

amother
OP

Post Fri, Oct 21 2022, 4:58 am
He is my second boy.

Hes nearly 3. .his birthday is in 4 weeks.

I trained my older child when he was same age and just wasnt working. Eventually put him back in diapers and did it quite a bit after he was 3.
He is also my child that within the past 2 years got an asd diagnosis. At the time I knew he might be delayed in this but I did attempt to train and just did not work out before 3 and I accepted it and tried again a while after which went fine.

This child I really really thought is ready.
I can see big differences between him and my child with Asd compared to when he was same age.

I am not just jumping in.
If it doesnt work in next few days I may ahve to rethink.
But Im also a playgroup teacher and sometimes I can see it really makes sense to persevere.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 12:34 pm
Bump.

Im really not sure what to do!
Im really thinking to pack it in and put him back in diapers.
This is not like me to quit but im at my wits end.

Today was day 4 andI really cant see my son getting it . He is nearly 3 and im worried Il just be doubly nervous when Id try again.

Like I mentioned on fri morning he ran around in circles while he was actually making and down his legs, outside the bathroom. He was all panicky but he wouldnt actually go in the bathroom or say he needed.

Friday night I watched hin play with my other children . He was clearly desparate to go, shifting on one leg, moving around, sitting with legs crossed but whenever anyone asked him if he needed he said no and pushed then away
He then got really panicky again and started crying and was clearly trying to hold it in but again kept refusing to say he needs. He ended up making on the floor and me putting him on the toilet to finish off.

shabbos afternoon he stood in the middle of the dining room looking really upset. There was a tiny ouddle on the floor but whoever asked him anythng he just said"go away."
One of my kids ten noticed he had done no 2 in his u.wear but when I asked him he said 'go away".

Bh managed to clean him up. He wasnt very bothered that he wouldnt get a treat.

Rest of the day he made a few puddles nd each time he just came to tell me and ask me where new u wear is. He never even asked to go o the toilet eac time he got wet.

Im just super surprised that hes not getting it.
At home we call him a tzaddik.
He is so quick and perceptive and mature.
He puts 2 and 2 togethr all the time.
He is very quick at chapping things and understanding what goes on.
He fully understands routne, morning afternoon, different pkaygroup teachers whe etc
He picks up that my older son has difficulties and often says he is bothering him.
He is always the one that is the best behaved when we go out, long car journies etc.
Its as if he picks up the atmosphere if his older sibligs are difficult and adapts very quickly.
He speaks very well and is always asking me questions about other people and things that go on around him..

I dont want to toot my own horn just generally asking if anyone has a child like this because I really always thought he would pick it up so smoothly.

If anyne can advise me woud really appreciate it.
Thanks so much.

imaima

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 1:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bump.

Im really not sure what to do!
Im really thinking to pack it in and put him back in diapers.
This is not like me to quit but im at my wits end.

Today was day 4 andI really cant see my son getting it . He is nearly 3 and im worried Il just be doubly nervous when Id try again.

Like I mentioned on fri morning he ran around in circles while he was actually making and down his legs, outside the bathroom. He was all panicky but he wouldnt actually go in the bathroom or say he needed.

Friday night I watched hin play with my other children . He was clearly desparate to go, shifting on one leg, moving around, sitting with legs crossed but whenever anyone asked him if he needed he said no and pushed then away
He then got really panicky again and started crying and was clearly trying to hold it in but again kept refusing to say he needs. He ended up making on the floor and me putting him on the toilet to finish off.

shabbos afternoon he stood in the middle of the dining room looking really upset. There was a tiny ouddle on the floor but whoever asked him anythng he just said"go away."
One of my kids ten noticed he had done no 2 in his u.wear but when I asked him he said 'go away".

Bh managed to clean him up. He wasnt very bothered that he wouldnt get a treat.

Rest of the day he made a few puddles nd each time he just came to tell me and ask me where new u wear is. He never even asked to go o the toilet eac time he got wet.

Im just super surprised that hes not getting it.
At home we call him a tzaddik.
He is so quick and perceptive and mature.
He puts 2 and 2 togethr all the time.
He is very quick at chapping things and understanding what goes on.
He fully understands routne, morning afternoon, different pkaygroup teachers whe etc
He picks up that my older son has difficulties and often says he is bothering him.
He is always the one that is the best behaved when we go out, long car journies etc.
Its as if he picks up the atmosphere if his older sibligs are difficult and adapts very quickly.
He speaks very well and is always asking me questions about other people and things that go on around him..

I dont want to toot my own horn just generally asking if anyone has a child like this because I really always thought he would pick it up so smoothly.

If anyne can advise me woud really appreciate it.
Thanks so much.

He is definitely not ready to go out without a diaper

In fact I would put him back in diapers and start again in a couple of months.

He clearly has some negative feelings associated with toilet. You need to be gentle. It’s not about intellect

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 1:14 pm
Thanks.

I do think he has some negative feelings and I hope its not because of how Iv been dealing.

At the beginning he was super excited. He also has been going on randomly for last couple of months .
A coule of times it spritzed and I made a bit of a fuss but I calmed him down and he was fine.

He knows everything back to front but doesnt seem to apply.
Hes definitely been on the toilet and made over the past few days ,but on day 4 I was expecting that he would still have accidents but would be running to to the toilet as soon as he realises..??

Also I dont want to make it harder for myself the next tine around. ?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Oct 22 2022, 1:30 pm
My question is , Is this a matter of perserverence or is he clearly not ready?

I dont want to throw in the trowel just because Im getting fed up but not sure how much longer to wait .

Any advice would be appreciated .
Thanks so much.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training