Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Chavas punishments for eating from the eitz hadaas

yo'ma

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 9:57 am
From my understanding, in the pshat, it says that men will rule over women. Is it as is or more than that?

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 10:31 am
yo'ma wrote:
From my understanding, in the pshat, it says that men will rule over women. Is it as is or more than that?

I remember learning that it's pain associated with pregnancy and childbirth. Never heard about the men ruling over women thing...

dena613

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 10:34 am
Harbeh arbeh itzvoneich veheryoneich
Be'etzev teldi banim
Ve'el isheich teshukaseich
Vehu yimshol Bach

I don't have a chumash in front of me, but if I did, I would read rashi.

If I'm not mistaken, I think it has to do with bedroom/desire.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 11:12 am
A woman can never have two husbands and a man could have more than one wife.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 11:24 am
yidisheh mama wrote:
I remember learning that it's pain associated with pregnancy and childbirth. Never heard about the men ruling over women thing...

It's both. That childbearing will be painful and the man will rule over the women.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 12:55 pm
If you actually read the pasukim, Chava wasn't cursed. Neither was Adam. Only the earth and the serpent were.

What there actually was was a change in nature; people would have to work hard for their sustenance, and women would give birth in pain.

This is because with the yetzor hara becoming internalized, people would naturally become distance from Hashem if everything were easy. As they say: There are no atheists in foxholes.

Difficulties are created to make us recalibrate and look to Hashem, to fix the breaks in the relationship.

chocolate fondue

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 12:58 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
If you actually read the pasukim, Chava wasn't cursed. Neither was Adam. Only the earth and the serpent were.

What there actually was was a change in nature; people would have to work hard for their sustenance, and women would give birth in pain.

This is because with the yetzor hara becoming internalized, people would naturally become distance from Hashem if everything were easy. As they say: There are no atheists in foxholes.

Difficulties are created to make us recalibrate and look to Hashem, to fix the breaks in the relationship.

I never heard this explanation (and I'll go back and check the exact lashon in the Chumash because it sure read like a curse) but your explanation at the end is beautiful

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 1:03 pm
chocolate fondue wrote:
I never heard this explanation (and I'll go back and check the exact lashon in the Chumash because it sure read like a curse) but your explanation at the end is beautiful

Here you go, courtesy of Chabad.org

And the Lord God said to the serpent, "Because you have done this, cursed be you more than all the cattle and more than all the beasts of the field; you shall walk on your belly, and you shall eat dust all the days of your life. And I shall place hatred between you and between the woman, and between your seed and between her seed. He will crush your head, and you will bite his heel."

To the woman He said, "I shall surely increase your sorrow and your pregnancy; in pain you shall bear children. And to your husband will be your desire, and he will rule over you."

And to man He said, "Because you listened to your wife, and you ate from the tree from which I commanded you saying, 'You shall not eat of it,' cursed be the ground for your sake; with toil shall you eat of it all the days of your life. And it will cause thorns and thistles to grow for you, and you shall eat the herbs of the field. With the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, until you return to the ground, for you were taken therefrom, for dust you are, and to dust you will return."

Bereshis 3:14-19
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics