Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
How do I go out while toilet training child? Any tips?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 2:38 pm
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I spoke to my son today and seems he is still very anxious about the toilet, not 100% sure why.
I asked him why he doesnt like to make, I gave hima few answers, and he chose one that I offered. That the toilet is too high for him?

When I offered to put a diaper on today he first saud no, Im not a baby and then he was fine with it.

I put a diaper back on him and took the advice here, told him he was really great and it was fun and wel do it another day.
I explained hes not a baby ,wel just do it another day.

He still seemed quite into the whole making thing.
I could see him doing the same thing with his diaper again.
He was getting nervous and a bit panicky each time he needed to make in his diaper all day.
He came to me and held my hand, wanted to be held each time he needed to make.
Especially with dirty.

I encouraged him that its ok, its in a diaper, it wont go on the floor and he managed to make in his diaper.

Im feeling quite upset, I think I went into this wrong. I guess I used the wrong approach, I should have just kept at it and not waited till he realised it, because he nevee actually vlicked.
I should have helped him along.

Even though, he definitely has some awareness, because all day in his diaper , its like he checked with me every time he needed to make wet or dirty.

What I want right now is to really take away any anxiety he has with this, and I hope that the next time I try it will go much smoother.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I spoke to my son today and seems he is still very anxious about the toilet, not 100% sure why.
I asked him why he doesnt like to make, I gave hima few answers, and he chose one that I offered. That the toilet is too high for him?

When I offered to put a diaper on today he first saud no, Im not a baby and then he was fine with it.

I put a diaper back on him and took the advice here, told him he was really great and it was fun and wel do it another day.
I explained hes not a baby ,wel just do it another day.

He still seemed quite into the whole making thing.
I could see him doing the same thing with his diaper again.
He was getting nervous and a bit panicky each time he needed to make in his diaper all day.
He came to me and held my hand, wanted to be held each time he needed to make.
Especially with dirty.

I encouraged him that its ok, its in a diaper, it wont go on the floor and he managed to make in his diaper.

Im feeling quite upset, I think I went into this wrong. I guess I used the wrong approach, I should have just kept at it and not waited till he realised it, because he nevee actually vlicked.
I should have helped him along.

Even though, he definitely has some awareness, because all day in his diaper , its like he checked with me every time he needed to make wet or dirty.

What I want right now is to really take away any anxiety he has with this, and I hope that the next time I try it will go much smoother.

Why did you choose not to buy a potty?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 3:49 pm
I really really dont like the idea of a potty and would prefer not to get one.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Oct 23 2022, 6:21 pm
amother OP wrote:

Its a little gross with poop but little potties really help these anxious kids.

myname1

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:23 am
Do you have a step stool or special toilet seat, or something else to make it fell smaller and more comfortable to him?

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:28 am
amother OP wrote:

I think you need to work with him. A potty is really best for anxious kids, they feel in control and it’s really easy access. I also wouldn’t have done the diaper. The fact he’s getting permission to use it shows he is ready to be trained. He just needs a lot more input and guidance from you. When you do start again take him to the bathroom at times intervals and when you see he needs it. His only job should be to work on his anxiety and getting comfortable.

myname1

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:37 am
amother Mustard wrote:
I think you need to work with him. A potty is really best for anxious kids, they feel in control and it’s really easy access. I also wouldn’t have done the diaper. The fact he’s getting permission to use it shows he is ready to be trained. He just needs a lot more input and guidance from you. When you do start again take him to the bathroom at times intervals and when you see he needs it. His only job should be to work on his anxiety and getting comfortable.

I actually think it's good she put him back in diapers. OP, I think you should tell him to tell you when he's ready to try again, and then he'll feel in control and hopefully not forced/trapped. You can tell him you see he's not a baby and he knows when he needs to go, but it seems like it's scary for him. When he's ready to try again, he should tell you and you'll help him. You can also ask him again what is scary and if there's something you can do to make it less scary. Maybe a step stool if you don't have already? Since he wanted to be held when going in the diaper, maybe if you sit with him and hold his hand? You can also ask if he wants to try the toilet during diaper changes, or if he wakes up with a dry diaper. Good luck! Dealing with anxious kids can be so frustrating!!

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 8:13 am
amother OP wrote:

Sounds like your son isn’t the only one with hangups about using the bathroom
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training