Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Do you have screens on your windows?
Previous  1  2

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 6:46 am
We don’t have screens and I hate it. It’s rare to find windows with screens here. Some windows, a screen can’t be installed because of the window. Last night, I got so bitten up, so I sprayed my room this morning. I hope tonight is better!!

moonstone

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 7:24 am
WitchKitty wrote:
When you have 10 kids at home and the 2 married come for shabbos, putting a price on garbage would be cruel.
And you don't care about the plastic tax either, because it's your sanity.

It's not the city's job to worry about being" cruel" if they impose a tax like that. Some people will be more negatively affected than others, that's life. You can try to reduce your garbage by not using so many disposables on shabbat. Why can't some of the 12 kids wash the dishes? I think overuse of disposables is a menace to society, in many ways.

Oh and yes, we have screens. Wouldn't be without them!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 7:30 am
yo'ma wrote:
We don’t have screens and I hate it. It’s rare to find windows with screens here. Some windows, a screen can’t be installed because of the window. Last night, I got so bitten up, so I sprayed my room this morning. I hope tonight is better!!

With the regular sliding windows in think you can install screens, I think you just need to change the bottom messila (rail?)
For non-sliding windows in think you can get a carpenter to make your a custom made wooden framed screen that you pop into the window and you need to remove screen in order to close window.
It's an old fashioned solution but it really works Smile

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 7:34 am
yo'ma wrote:

You may use Sanomat device against mosqitoes. Totally works.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 7:44 am
moonstone wrote:
It's not the city's job to worry about being" cruel" if they impose a tax like that. Some people will be more negatively affected than others, that's life. You can try to reduce your garbage by not using so many disposables on shabbat. Why can't some of the 12 kids wash the dishes? I think overuse of disposables is a menace to society, in many ways.

Oh and yes, we have screens. Wouldn't be without them!

What I don't get is that instead of stacking disposables neatly the whole table plastic us rolled into a biiig jumbled ball. So many times I have been told "no need to stack, we are throwing it anyway". Like Seriously?! You think it's a mitzvah to make volume of your garbage?! I actually make a point of saying "we really shouldn't make volumes of the garbage, it's not smart" when the "no need to stack" thing comes up.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 8:57 am
Screens seem to be such a given that when I read stories that pivot on windows without screens I think the author's stretching it, even though I know that's not the case everywhere.

etky

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:05 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Interesting. Where I live its pretty windy. We get a LOT of wind, even with screens Smile

Same. Incredibly windy, especially from the north/west. So I don't feel a cut in air flow.
They do get dusty though and need to be cleaned every now and then, especially the ones facing south/east that never get washed by rain.
I can't imagine living w/o screens to stop insects and birds from flying in.
And not that screens should be relied upon for childproofing but they are at least some type of barrier between a child and an open window in homes that don't have bars installed.

4g01o

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:15 am
We don't have a need for screens in England.
Maybe some have them, but it's not a common thing at all.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics