Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How young do YOU let your children play outside alone?
Previous  1  2

GAMZu

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:23 pm
Quote:
it just so happens that these 2 neighbors love watching their baby sibs and beg their mothers to be allowed to take them out.

I hope to be zoche that MY kids will feel that way when they're old enough to watch younger sibs! Wink

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:53 pm
gamzu, no way - theyre boys. they wanna be free to ride their bikes... 8 year old girls love showing off their baby siblings...

GAMZu

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 11:57 pm
We'll see Very Happy

drumjj

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 3:48 am
I think u cany generalize on this question it totally depends on what area and what country u live in. if I lived in israel in a kollel community for instance I would let me daughter out a lot younger then if I lived on a normal street with a normal road and it also depends on the maturity of each child. everyone is very different. I let my kids in the back garden to play alone and I live in a very quiet private road which is gated but there are stll cars and delivery ppl etc so I wont let them out alone and they are five and three.

Tamiri

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 5:54 am
My 3.5 yo is out in our backyard now, playing in the sprinkler. Our back door is open and we can hear him. He's old enough that I trust he won't go in the front yard himself, which is also no big deal even if he were to go there. In the U.S. I don't think I would let a 3.5 yo out alone.

shopaholic

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:40 am
I let my 8 yr old watch the 5 & 3.5 yr old but I sit on the porch to keep an eye on them. Sometimes I trudge down the 2 flights to sit out there too, but only if there's no food on the stove that needs to be checked on.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 12:30 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
Never. Not until they're married, and even then only in the back yard. Wink

Ok, right now I only have a 1.5 yr old, but this pretty much sums up how I feel. (Even if you were actually kidding). With everything that goes on in the world, I can't imagine an age where I wont be terrified to let my children play outside alone. I suppose this is something I will have to get over eventually, but not for a long, long time.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 1:30 pm
I was kidding, but at the same time feel like that in a way.

My oldest, kah is 3, so I just can't fathom letting him do anything...ever.

cassandra

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 1:46 pm
I do let my kids play outside alone, but only in the enclosed backyard and only if I can see them from the window. I will do things in the kitchen and watch them play outside.

Atali

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 2:40 pm
It seems to me as if most of the posters who would never let a child (not a toddler, but an older child) play outside live in NY. Is there anyone here who lives in an out of town community who feels the same way?

If I lived in Brooklyn I probably wouldn't let my child play outside alone either. But in my neighborhood five and six year olds do so regularly (with other kids) and I don't see any problem with that, as long as they know basic safety rules, stay near home, and are playing with other kids and not by themselves during daytime hours.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics