Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Newbie- how to make gefilte fish
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:17 pm
So I never made GF before and am doing this for first or 2nd time. The instructions say to simmer it for 1.5 hours in seasoned water. Does that mean that you first boil the water and then turn it to low or you just season the water, put the gefilte fish in and then simmer?
And do you keep it covered?

I specifically want to do stovetop.

Thanks!

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I never made GF before and am doing this for first or 2nd time. The instructions say to simmer it for 1.5 hours in seasoned water. Does that mean that you first boil the water and then turn it to low or you just season the water, put the gefilte fish in and then simmer?
And do you keep it covered?

I specifically want to do stovetop.

Thanks!

When I make gefilte fish, I put the fish in the pot, fill it with water, add spices. Then I bring it to a boil and leave it. I’ll cut it back if I need to, but I keep it boiling the whole time.

sallee

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:23 pm
I season the water then boil it up then add the GF and veggies really just carrots and onion

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:26 pm
Just don't make the mistake I did the first time. The directions got folded over and frozen, so I read "DO NOT cook", instead of "DO NOT remove inner wrapping, cook fish inside it."

Tummy troubles followed. embarrassed

hodeez

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:27 pm
I don't season the water. Just boil the water, then drop in the gf and let boil semi covered for an hour

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:28 pm
Simmer for 1.5 hours means it should be bubbling for that long. So if you put the fish in before boiling the water, then don't start timing it until the water starts bubbling. Doesn't matter if you put the fish in before or after boiling the water.

As for seasoning I usually just shake in some salt and pepper, I'm not sure it makes much difference because the fish has its own flavoring and the water gets poured out. But I do it because my mother did Smile

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:29 pm
imasinger wrote:
Just don't make the mistake I did the first time. The directions got folded over and frozen, so I read "DO NOT cook", instead of "DO NOT remove inner wrapping, cook fish inside it."

Tummy troubles followed. embarrassed

OMG that's a real... winner of a story

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:45 pm
I skip the seasoning and vegetables. Waste of time lol.

I've also started to skip washing the pot with this: https://www.busyinbrooklyn.com.....ways/

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:52 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
When I make gefilte fish, I put the fish in the pot, fill it with water, add spices. Then I bring it to a boil and leave it. I’ll cut it back if I need to, but I keep it boiling the whole time.

So it's bubbling and more of a higher flame?

amother
OP

sallee wrote:
I season the water then boil it up then add the GF and veggies really just carrots and onion

So that means a high flame?
Also do you cover it?

amother
Pansy

I skip the pot and use a disposable pan.
I skip the onion and use onion powder… I learned that from here. My first reaction was- ugh.. of course it needs onion- bi tried it and it’s really good with onion powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Sugar- everyone likes a different amount.. we like it sweet and put in around 3/4 cup
Fill up pan with water
Cover with foil
Bring to boil
Lower flame and cook for around 2 hours

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:53 pm
seeker wrote:
Simmer for 1.5 hours means it should be bubbling for that long. So if you put the fish in before boiling the water, then don't start timing it until the water starts bubbling. Doesn't matter if you put the fish in before or after boiling the water.

As for seasoning I usually just shake in some salt and pepper, I'm not sure it makes much difference because the fish has its own flavoring and the water gets poured out. But I do it because my mother did Smile

Do you keep it covered?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:54 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
I skip the pot and use a disposable pan.
I skip the onion and use onion powder… I learned that from here. My first reaction was- ugh.. of course it needs onion- bi tried it and it’s really good with onion powder
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Sugar- everyone likes a different amount.. we like it sweet and put in around 3/4 cup
Fill up pan with water
Cover with foil
Bring to boil
Lower flame and cook for around 2 hours

I wish I can do this method but my husband wouldn't go for it ...

imasinger

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 9:56 pm
I keep it covered, with a gap to let steam out, on a low flame.

I usually flip it over at some point.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:00 pm
imasinger wrote:
I keep it covered, with a gap to let steam out, on a low flame.

I usually flip it over at some point.

Do you boil it first and then switch to low flame?

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
So it's bubbling and more of a higher flame?

Doesn't matter but if you use a higher flame then you need to mind it so the water doesn't boil out. It's easier to maintain on a simmer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:18 pm
I think I'm confused
What exactly is simmer?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:22 pm
I prefer it baked. In a loaf pan with an inch of water, covered for a hour and a half. Sometimes I’ll add salsa or marinara sauce or spices.

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think I'm confused
What exactly is simmer?

Summer means after it comes to a boil, you lower the flame and allow it to cook that way.

seeker

Post Thu, Oct 27 2022, 10:58 pm
Simmer means it's bubbling just a little bit.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen