Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Graco Snugride Questions

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 9:46 am
(I put this under a new title because I figured this way it would attract people who actually have the snugride.)

We're looking into getting the Graco snugride for our first little one, b'shaah tova, and it seems that some of the cheaper models come without a infant insert. Is that a problem? Some of the slightly more expensive ones come with an infant insert that doesn't seem removable.

Also, does anyone know whether these two carseats are made of a good material? I saw some reviews of other snugrides that said that the material wasn't breathable and made their baby hot and uncomfortable...but I can't find anywhere where it mentions what material these are made out of!

Any other advice?

TIA!

http://www.gracobaby.com/catal.....ID=15
http://www.gracobaby.com/catal.....ID=15

sky

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 10:32 am
I didn't like the infant insert that came with mine. It was not supportive enough and I got a seperate one. I know a few people who did this. It may be worth it to get the cheaper carseat and a seperate, good, infant insert.
One good thing to look for on the snugride (mine does not have it and I regret it) is that the straps should be adjustable from the front with a simple pull of a strap. It makes it easier with jackets.
Also, remember the baby will nort be in here very long. A lot of babies grow out of the standard size by 6- 8 months.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 10:33 am
I had a regular $70 snugride for a newborn and was happy with it. I think it came with a newborn insert but I never used it.

Love My Babes

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 10:38 am
I had one and I loved it but I did notice that the materials were different, based on the color or print. I actually went into a store to look at them and chose the one I liked. the one I had came with a head support, and it was ok, but if u dont have one or dont like the one it has, then buy it seperately.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 11:03 am
Do you NEED an infant insert, though? Bought separately or together, fine, but is it necessary? Why on earth would they sell seats without it, if it's completely necessary?

Does anyone have one of the carseats that I linked?

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 11:04 am
depends how big the baby is and their head control.

Mine was born ~8lbs and 1 wk late and I still had to ride back there for a couple weeks to actually hold/support her head esp during turns...that was with the insert that came with. I put a couple rolledup receiving blankets on each side. It helped a little.

flowerpower

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 11:28 am
You can always buy a seperate insert. It's not expensive. Check out Albeebaby. I bought a few things there including the car seat and was very pleased.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 11:32 am
separate inserts void the warranty. read it. I have two snugrides. the lotus- which is lousy material but has a double headrest. and truffle- which I love and has great material but only a single headrest. I have two, b/c my husband travels & I can't count the number of times he left with my carseat in his car. I like the headrests- both my kids were under 6 and a half lbs & both short 18 & 19 inches.

sky

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:00 pm
I have one that is ver similiar to the cheaper one and happy eith it (I think justb my pattern is different, it was $70 and came with a headrest)
The more expensive one is better (IMO) because it has the strap in the front to easily chenge the length of the straps based on what rthe baby is wearing.:
"5-point harness with front adjustment helps keep Baby secure"

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 27 2008, 12:12 pm
I posted Sad Is this a separate thread?

Basically, you do NOT need an infant headrest, and most are no good anyway for newborns. You also shouldn't get ones from a different brand as they are not as safe. Best thing to do: roll up a receiving blanket and fold upside down U, or take 2 rolled up and wedge tightly to support baby and head. Works wonders, very cheap, and adjustable Very Happy

Love My Babes

Post Wed, May 28 2008, 1:21 am
chaylizi I have the lotus and I love it.

chaylizi

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 5:36 pm
Love My Babe wrote:
chaylizi I have the lotus and I love it.

there aren't too many others with that double headrest. I don't think I could have brought my baby home without that part. she was so tiny.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 7:27 am
OP I have that carseat (it is a few years old so I can't say it's exactly the same, but it looks the same). It is kind of a pain to adjust from teh back, but not terrible. You should not put an infant in the infant seat in a coat anyway, it's unsafe. You strap the baby in and then cover him / her with a blanket if you need. I'm happy with the seat and it has lasted well through 4 kids B"H.

B Sha' Tova Smile

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:00 am
RachelEve14 - Which carseat? I posted two of them...

Thanks, everyone for the advice! We're going carseat shopping this Sunday (decided it was easier to actually see what we're buying instead of getting it online), and I'm looking forward to testing all these things out.

Also, I talked to an "expert carseat guy," and he said the two most important things to look for in a carseat are the EPO foam padding (for safety reasons) and there should be an eggcrate pad under where baby's tush goes (for comfort for baby). He said that even the cotton materials aren't really breatheable, and the plastic-feeling ones are easier to clean...for whatever that's worth. He did say that the inserts are usually pointless because unless they fit your baby EXACTLY, you'll end up just going out and getting another insert - if you need it at all, which you probably won't, depending on Baby's head and neck control.

He also said that the Snugride is MUCH lighter than the Safeseat.

Just in case anyone else is making the same decision as me!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 9:46 am
AG....if you choose which one to buy based on trying them out in the store, it might still be kdai to check out online prices as many times you can get cheaper, and even with free shipping...

Rutabaga

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 11:33 am
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
He also said that the Snugride is MUCH lighter than the Safeseat.

I have the snugride (and snugrider base). I liked the idea of the safeseat better because it could hold the baby longer, but I could barely lift it without a baby in it. I couldn't imagine being able to carry it when dd reaches 30 lbs iy"h.

I have this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product.....87294 Dd's head still wobbles around a little even with the headrest, so I just prop her up with blankets.

chaylizi

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 11:35 am
the snugride is considered the safer of the two carseats

GingerSpice

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 1:43 pm
I had a Graco Snugride with an infant insert and was realy not satisfied. The insert wasn't doing anything for him and the carseat itself did not feel and seem comfortable. I now have the Maxi-Cosi Mico and the insert realy works and it feels comfortable.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jun 01 2008, 5:23 am
OP,

I have the second (cheaper) one that came without the insert.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics