Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Learning to play harp

caza

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:55 pm
My DD 9 would love to learn to play the harp. I would like to know from anyone that has learned or their kids have, how difficult it is? Is there anything I should know before we even try?
I can rent a harp at first and but even the classes are expensive so would like to have as much info as possible before we try.

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 8:57 pm
It’s a hobby for rich kids

Chayalle

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 9:00 pm
I used to do Chessed (as a teen) at a family whose mother played the harp. It's a beautiful instrument. As I recall her telling me, a harp is delicate and expensive to maintain.

Personally, I'd start a child on an easier, simpler instrument. I play the piano, so that's been a natural choice for my daughters, but there are other instruments that are also great choices. The violin comes to mind.

What about the harp specifically appeals to your daughter?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 9:03 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
It’s a hobby for rich kids

This. My sister plays it. She first rented it and then ended up buying one. Spends a fortune on lessons and is still quite amateur although talented.

Be ready to spend LOTS of money!

caza

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 9:38 pm
She wants to learn a unique instrument, I play piano but there are so many kids that play piano, guitar and violin so she would like something else.
I am thinking of the flute but she prefers the harp

amother
Chestnut

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 10:06 pm
My sister wanted to play the harp. She learned sax instead. It was more affordable and still unique
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts