Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Braiding Spelt Challah

ttbtbm

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 5:23 pm
I want to try making challah using spelt flour. I’ve heard the dough is hard to work with. Can it be braided? Any tips would be very appreciated!

rikkabella

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 6:06 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
I want to try making challah using spelt flour. I’ve heard the dough is hard to work with. Can it be braided? Any tips would be very appreciated!

I've made it many times before-- although never the whole grain variety. It braids beautifully! Just like a regular flour challah. I use the recipe that's on the side of one of the spelt flour packages-- I just add more sugar and vanilla. Once braided, it will lose its shape if left to rise too long though.

I have also made gluten free challah before-- and that is impossible to braid. You kinda just have to dump it into one of the challah molds or make balls out of it.

Hatzlacha!

ttbtbm

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 6:41 pm
rikkabella wrote:
I've made it many times before-- although never the whole grain variety. It braids beautifully! Just like a regular flour challah. I use the recipe that's on the side of one of the spelt flour packages-- I just add more sugar and vanilla. Once braided, it will lose its shape if left to rise too long though.

I have also made gluten free challah before-- and that is impossible to braid. You kinda just have to dump it into one of the challah molds or make balls out of it.

Hatzlacha!

My friend who gave me a recipe said that spelt dough is hard to work with. She dumps it into round tins. I wonder if it’s just her recipe.

Blessing1

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 6:44 pm
I make spelt challa every week. The dough is so deliciously soft and is very easy to work with. Braids beautifully.

tweety1

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 6:50 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
I make spelt challa every week. The dough is so deliciously soft and is very easy to work with. Braids beautifully.

Same here. I use white spelt.

ttbtbm

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 6:58 pm
I’ll give it a go!! Maybe I should add more flour??

Blessing1

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:08 pm
ttbtbm wrote:
I’ll give it a go!! Maybe I should add more flour??

What's the recipe?
How much flour/eggs/water?

BH Yom Yom

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 7:34 pm
IME If you make a sticky dough it will come out fluffy. Wear gloves when braiding and dip your gloved hands into olive oil to help prevent the dough from sticking to your gloves.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:29 am
Blessing1 wrote:
What's the recipe?
How much flour/eggs/water?

Five pounds of flour and five and a half cups of water. I don’t remember my recipe having eggs.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:29 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
IME If you make a sticky dough it will come out fluffy. Wear gloves when braiding and dip your gloved hands into olive oil to help prevent the dough from sticking to your gloves.

Will def try that! Thanks!

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:30 am
Blessing1 wrote:

How long do you knead the dough for? With regular flour there’s a tone of kneading.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:46 am
Is the rising time different than regular four? For the first rise? (Is there even a second rise?)

Blessing1

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:50 am
ttbtbm wrote:
How long do you knead the dough for? With regular flour there’s a tone of kneading.

I knead it for the same amount of time as regular flour. 10 minutes on #2 in the bosch mixer.

Blessing1

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:51 am
ttbtbm wrote:
Is the rising time different than regular four? For the first rise? (Is there even a second rise?)

I let rise for 35 minutes, 1st & 2nd rise. Spelt challah loses it's shape if it rises to long.

ttbtbm

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 6:57 am
Thank you blessing1!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads