Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections
Men’s poker or other groups - Monsey
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 2:11 pm
When dh and I wanted to do games night together, we tried playing poker together and I just couldn't understand the rules or what was so major about the game. But everyone is different.
I get that gambling has a bad rep and frum Jews shouldn't be gambling, but what I believe op is referring to is 4 guys getting together and playing a game together. It is the same concept as them playing chess or monopoly. It's not about money, it's about friends having some fun together.

qwerty4

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 2:55 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
We're Chassidish and I cannot imagine a Chassidish Rav OK'ing or Chassidish person playing poker, I doubt OP will find a group.
But it's not my place to tell OP what she or her husband should or shouldn't be considering for "chill time". If it's Halachically questionable let them figure it out on their own.
And showing hair is not comparable. There are Rabbis in certain communities that allow a Tefach to show.
OP you seem like a great wife and I do hope your husband finds an outlet that he enjoys.

Ever heard of kvitlech?

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 3:21 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Tv was different in the 70’s-80’s. There were only a few channels and there was usually nothing inappropriate. It was mostly used to follow the news and sports. There were childrens programs … totally different than what you know tv to be today
Not saying that very yeshivish families had a tv but regular frum families had ONE tv usually. They still could have been g-d fearing Jews striving to do the right thing

No it wasn’t. I was around then. Tv does not belong in a frum home period. Can’t believe people don’t see the hypocrisy here. Don’t freak out over poker and then go watch tv.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 3:22 pm
And people are proud of watching tv but draw the line at no card games? I figured this much when I saw the outcry.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 3:36 pm
Anyone who has internet access and is signed up on here posting away should really not comment about someone else’s frumkeit issues

Librarian

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 4:18 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
And people are proud of watching tv but draw the line at no card games? I figured this much when I saw the outcry.

My apologies. I thought this was a conversation. I thought it was interesting to talk about how things used to be and how they have changed. I guess I was mistaken.
BTW I don't know anyone who was "proud of watching tv" but maybe that's just me.

amother
DarkGray

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 4:26 pm
Librarian wrote:
My apologies. I thought this was a conversation. I thought it was interesting to talk about how things used to be and how they have changed. I guess I was mistaken.
BTW I don't know anyone who was "proud of watching tv" but maybe that's just me.

It was a pile on, on a post where she asked for groups not conversations or opinions.

Librarian

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 4:50 pm
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
It was a pile on, on a post where she asked for groups not conversations or opinions.

Will be sure to toe the line in the future, thanks

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Mar 08 2022, 5:53 pm
Librarian wrote:
Will be sure to toe the line in the future, thanks

It wasn’t directed at you. So many people were going on and on with their opinions. You were just responding to the ongoing conversation. You did nothing wrong.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 12:00 am
I have to apologize to all of you. I did some research and found out that playing poker is a real "thing" by Chassidim, and not just recently. My source said it's called "playing kvitlach". As a PSA to Chassidish posters, you may just want to write kvitlach next time as the optics - outside your specific circles- are a lot better that way.

Poker has some very negative connotations to us (at least me) which is why I, at least, reacted so strongly. You may keep that in mind before posting on this topic next time.

And no, we don't hate Chassidim. We had a knee jerk reaction to a word that is used very differently in other circles. Just to keep that in mind.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 12:02 am
qwerty4 wrote:
Ever heard of kvitlech?

My Rav and others that I know, say that kvitlach is assur.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 12:03 am
amother [ Skyblue ] wrote:
I have to apologize to all of you. I did some research and found out that playing poker is a real "thing" by Chassidim, and not just recently. My source said it's called "playing kvitlach". As a PSA to Chassidish posters, you may just want to write kvitlach next time as the optics - outside your specific circles- are a lot better that way.

Poker has some very negative connotations to us (at least me) which is why I, at least, reacted so strongly. You may keep that in mind before posting on this topic next time.

And no, we don't hate Chassidim. We had a knee jerk reaction to a word that is used very differently in other circles. Just to keep that in mind.

Not sure what the difference is. Besides for the connotations, many hold that it’s assur in terms of the gambling .

qwerty4

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 12:06 am
cnc wrote:
My Rav and others that I know, say that kvitlach is assur.

That is true, but it’s a stretch from saying that she can’t imagine any chassidish man playing poker. She probably knows many who do, by another name.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 12:51 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
We're Chassidish and I cannot imagine a Chassidish Rav OK'ing or Chassidish person playing poker, I doubt OP will find a group.
But it's not my place to tell OP what she or her husband should or shouldn't be considering for "chill time". If it's Halachically questionable let them figure it out on their own.
And showing hair is not comparable. There are Rabbis in certain communities that allow a Tefach to show.
OP you seem like a great wife and I do hope your husband finds an outlet that he enjoys.

I guess you are naive chassidish. I’m chassidish as well and in my circles it is pretty common to play poker. It started (for us) in the country as a motzei Shabbos activity after the men played volley. That’s where my husband learned the game, and he occasionally played during the year as well (on motzei Shabbos).

The past few years a group of ladies also learned how to play the game. It’s a lot of fun, there’s a reason why it’s popular. IMO you do need to play with some real money or the game is too fake and has no meaning, but we all buy in for the same small amount and give out chips double or triple the real money. It’s not a lot, is a fun activity and didn’t turn us into gamblers.

If you’re that worried about wasting money I can list 10 other things woman waste their money on, often to live up to others standards. For way more money, and that’s considered ok.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 09 2022, 10:15 am
Kvitlach isn’t poker. If anything it’s more similar to blackjack but it’s not the point

chilled

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 4:19 pm
This thread came up and I'm just laughing quietly at the mud slinging happening here...
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics