Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How much is reasonable to spend on a teenage girl?
Previous  1  2

toyota

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 12:43 am
Have you checked instagowns? It's gowns available for resale. You can often negotiate with the sellers on price. If you have some time to browse through the listings (easier than running around) you might find a good option at a good price.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 4:33 am
this is such a relative question.
I have 5 girls and dressed them all for their brothers wedding in gowns that cost less than both your 2 gowns TOTAL. Beautiful full gowns, color scheme and all

personally I wld think the 16 year old with standard figure is easy to fit and I wld borrow and for younger one I wld spend more.
even if 16 year d has stopped growing her taste will still change so what she likes now she may not want to wear next year.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:15 am
amother Acacia wrote:
this is such a relative question.
I have 5 girls and dressed them all for their brothers wedding in gowns that cost less than both your 2 gowns TOTAL. Beautiful full gowns, color scheme and all

personally I wld think the 16 year old with standard figure is easy to fit and I wld borrow and for younger one I wld spend more.
even if 16 year d has stopped growing her taste will still change so what she likes now she may not want to wear next year.

Where can I find gowns for less than that? I'd be happy to look if I would know where to look. Where is there a place in Brooklyn with a decent beautiful selection at great prices? Or what are some websites that sell beautiful affordable tznius gowns without looking cheap-y?

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:25 am
I think the price is ok
Are they REALLY REALLY nice
Do the girls absolutely love it
Or are they just ok
I wouldn’t spend that amount for just ok

Also do they have more use for it
Either shorten for Shabbos or other weddings

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Where can I find gowns for less than that? I'd be happy to look if I would know where to look. Where is there a place in Brooklyn with a decent beautiful selection at great prices? Or what are some websites that sell beautiful affordable tznius gowns without looking cheap-y?

Fashion island, exquisite
Nordstrom online or neiman Marcus

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:10 am
amother Tan wrote:
Fashion island, exquisite
Nordstrom online or neiman Marcus

Would cost more at all of these stores

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:33 am
I spend up to $600 for a gown on teens. So for me, $350 is a great price.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:34 am
amother Mustard wrote:
Huh? Not that poster but I've also never paid $350 on an item of clothing nor have I ever shopped on Aliexpress.

There's a world of prices in between the two...

Gowns are usually more expensive than a regular outfit.

Aurora

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:39 am
dena613 wrote:
Gemach?

I've never spent that much on any one article of clothing.

Me too. But reasonable really depends on your lifestyle in general. I'd be more likely to go to a thrift store and then spend some money on having the dress altered.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 12:34 pm
I think I would purchase the gown for the younger daughter. She has a more difficult time finding clothing and so it is less likely she will find something that looks beautiful on her on sale or at a gemach. I wouldn't take the chance unless you think you could find something better - but it might not be cheaper.

I think the older girl will be able to find something much more easily. Whether it is less expensive isn't really the issue but that there is less pressure to find something immediately. She could probably walk into most stores and walk out in an hour with something that looked beautiful on her.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:10 pm
amother OP wrote:

Did you try Gown Gmach in Crown Heights?

They have a huge selections, literally hundreds of gorgeous gowns. They are stylish and up to date and in great condition. Many are brand name. And less than $200 to borrow one.

Every time I go there I am successful.

They have a website where you can see some of their gowns.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:38 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
Did you try Gown Gmach in Crown Heights?

They have a huge selections, literally hundreds of gorgeous gowns. They are stylish and up to date and in great condition. Many are brand name. And less than $200 to borrow one.

Every time I go there I am successful.

They have a website where you can see some of their gowns.

Thank you! Will check it out

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 1:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! Will check it out

The website is gowngmach.com
And they have many more gowns at their location, besides those that are shown online. Really really worth a trip

amother
DarkGreen

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:46 pm
use your intuition as to how much you are "meant" to do for each child.
my daughter is 11 1/2. for the past two years we buy what she likes in size 16 and 18 and narrow almost
everything by a seamstress.
this way we both enjoy shopping and we dont shop for something that is elusive (clothing in her figure length and body width).

Dressing up for the Jones or setting the table for the Jones or vacationing for the Jones or cooking yomtov for the jones is not essential.
But paying to make your daughter look and feel pretty and part of the world is what is essential.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics