Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Now that theres so much crime in NYC, are Manhattan's West

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:30 pm
Now that theres increased crime in NYC, in addition to NYC people who left during Covid, are Manhattan's West Side's large Shuls (probably the biggest Orthodox Shuls in NYC), getting emptier because of people escaping the city?

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:35 pm
According to US News and world report, Kings County, Brooklyn, is the 18th safest county in America. https://www.usnews.com/news/he.....ide=9

Queens is the 16th. https://www.usnews.com/news/he.....de=12

Westchester, Long Island, Rockland County, and Bergen County surround the area you discuss. They’re also in the top 20. I think perhaps your information is wrong. It’s pretty safe here, check the statistics on the links I posted.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:39 pm
Not all crimes get reported.

librarygirl

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:44 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
According to US News and world report, Kings County, Brooklyn, is the 18th safest county in America. https://www.usnews.com/news/he.....ide=9

Queens is the 16th. https://www.usnews.com/news/he.....de=12

Westchester, Long Island, Rockland County, and Bergen County surround the area you discuss. They’re also in the top 20. I think perhaps your information is wrong. It’s pretty safe here, check the statistics on the links I posted.

This has to do with public safety, ie access to medical care. It does not seem to have anything to do with crime.

Last edited by librarygirl on Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:44 pm
chanatron1000 wrote:
Not all crimes get reported.

Are you the one who hugged me?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:47 pm
amother OP wrote:
Now that theres increased crime in NYC, in addition to NYC people who left during Covid, are Manhattan's West Side's large Shuls (probably the biggest Orthodox Shuls in NYC), getting emptier because of people escaping the city?

Literally no. I live on the west side. The shuls are packed.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:49 pm
librarygirl wrote:
This has to do with public safety, ie access to medical care. It does not seem to have anything to do with crime.

Crime is factored in: “In the public safety category of the rankings, communities are scored on a 100-point scale tied to their performance relative to one another across seven metrics in three key areas: crime, injuries and public safety capacity. Individual metrics include community crime rates, proximity to emergency facilities, spending on health and emergency services, vehicle crash fatality rate and more.”

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:50 pm
amother Slategray wrote:

Me too. Neighborhood is thriving.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:52 pm
I live on the west side. Lots of people moved away during the height of the pandemic. Some
Moved back (singles) and some didn’t (families) Renters moved and owners stayed, for the most part. But lots of people have moved in since. Simchas Torah was a hopping as ever, BH!! Still a vibrant and fun place to live

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 6:58 pm
amother Slategray wrote:

So people working from home during Covid and now, increased crime, didnt make people escape the city?

librarygirl

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:01 pm
I stand corrected. Crime is factored in. However, looking at the statistics for Brooklyn, the violent crime rate is 586.2 per 100k. The national median is 204.5 per 100k. Brooklyn scores well because they spend 3x the national median on health and emergency services (which I don't view as a positive) and because they have a high number of medical professionals. They have very high crime.

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:11 pm
There is also this Bloomberg article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opin.....erica

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
So people working from home during Covid and now, increased crime, didnt make people escape the city?

City people love the city. Some left for other reasons (social isolation was a biggie) and yes some moved and didn’t come back. But I have a very very large core group who stayed. You either get it or you don’t.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 7:13 pm
https://www.bloomberg.com/opin.....erica

Here's an interesting read that delves into the relative dangers of living in NYC.

I can't speak to the west side besides what my friends have told me (shuls are busy) but here across the park on the UES, everywhere is absolutely packed.

Edit - lol sorry vintage, cross posted the same article as you!

Last edited by icedcoffee on Mon, Oct 31 2022, 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:26 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Are you the one who hugged me?

No.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 8:27 pm
I've seen more harassment on the streets lately, and that's a crime that's very rarely reported.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries