Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Does anyone else's baby hate the doona?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:36 am
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Seriously take the darn head insert out it’s not meant for such big babies! You don’t see people walking around with the head insert!

The head insert is for safety. Ive taken out the bottom insert but never took out the head insert and my babys never complained

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:38 am
amother Begonia wrote:

I hope you understand that masses of people buy it as a fashion statement and couldn't care less about the safety or correct usage.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 9:39 am
amother Latte wrote:
The head insert is for safety. Ive taken out the bottom insert but never took out the head insert and my babys never complained

Her baby is complaining. Let the poor kid breathe.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 10:06 am
OP, a 2 month old needs A head insert to support the head, but it doesn't need to be the doona company. You should definitely not be putting your baby in slumped to try and get his head in the right spot. Make sure his hips are at the right angle, sitting firmly in place. Of course he's screaming if he's in slumped, and it can affect his breathing as well. Use a different company head insert if needed and just install it higher up for his height (they sell universal inserts for use in various baby products).

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 10:09 am
amother Sienna wrote:
OP, a 2 month old needs A head insert to support the head, but it doesn't need to be the doona company. You should definitely not be putting your baby in slumped to try and get his head in the right spot. Make sure his hips are at the right angle, sitting firmly in place. Of course he's screaming if he's in slumped, and it can affect his breathing as well. Use a different company head insert if needed and just install it higher up for his height (they sell universal inserts for use in various baby products).

Sample insert:
https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole.....psc=1

amother
Eggshell

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 10:26 am
I'm actually looking to buy a used one (NY area) lmk if you decide to sell yours please!

amother Electricblue wrote:
I bought a doona for my fourth kid (my other car seat expired). She hated it. Screamed every time I strapped her in. And if she fell asleep in it, she was very restless and not comfortable.
I didn’t have this with any of my other kids.

I plan on selling mine and getting something more comfortable.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:01 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Sample insert:
https://www.amazon.com/JJ-Cole.....psc=1

This is really really dangerous advice! A car seat is crash tested before it goes on the market. Anything that you add to the seat compromises your baby’s safety! OP, removing the head insert affects the car seats performance in a car crash!

I highly recommend working with a local cpst who can show you how to properly position your baby.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:29 am
Speak to any PT, and they will tell you not to put your baby in a Doona.

amother
Raspberry

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I took out the infant insert from the bottom but the side impact cushion is still in..the one around his head. Sometimes it seems like the bottom of the impact cushion is crowding his shoulders which don't have space. If I lower his body so his shoulders are below the cushion and only his head is in between it then that's when his chin slumps forward. But if I try to raise him up higher then his shoulders are basically squashed in between the side impact cushion.. but taking it out seems to lower the safety of the car seat no?

No. He probably outgrew it. There’s much more room once that’s out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 11:35 am
amother DarkMagenta wrote:
This is really really dangerous advice! A car seat is crash tested before it goes on the market. Anything that you add to the seat compromises your baby’s safety! OP, removing the head insert affects the car seats performance in a car crash!

I highly recommend working with a local cpst who can show you how to properly position your baby.

I'm guessing she doesn't have a doona...the head insert is not there for head support. Its not actually a head insert it's actually called a side impact cushion and is 2 hard pieces on either side of the baby's head. It's not round shaped. It's there in case of a crash. It's definitely too small for my baby to be comfortable yet removing it means there is no safety .

What is similar to a doona in terms of convenience? Only the snap n go?
A car seat that clicks onto a base or can be buckled into a car...and when you want to take the baby out you can remove the whole car seat and click it onto a stroller frame . Yes 4 more steps to the trunk but im ok with that.

gr82no

Post Wed, Oct 26 2022, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm guessing she doesn't have a doona...the head insert is not there for head support. Its not actually a head insert it's actually called a side impact cushion and is 2 hard pieces on either side of the baby's head. It's not round shaped. It's there in case of a crash. It's definitely too small for my baby to be comfortable yet removing it means there is no safety .

What is similar to a doona in terms of convenience? Only the snap n go?
A car seat that clicks onto a base or can be buckled into a car...and when you want to take the baby out you can remove the whole car seat and click it onto a stroller frame . Yes 4 more steps to the trunk but im ok with that.

You can get a travel system from graco or a few other companies. Get the kind that the car seat clicks directly into the stroller so you don’t need to deal with adapters.
Look for a travel system that has one handed fold- it makes life a lot easier.
I would prefer a travel system over snap and go especially at this point because in another month or two you shouldn’t push your baby around in a car seat you should push in a stroller and the snap n go is just a base you won’t have use.

Phoebe31

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 3:08 pm
Ok, I read this whole thread, 1. OP do NOT remove the head insert, according to Doona's manual, they recommend keeping it in.
2. You should be able to move the head insert up as you need so your baby's head is in it, not his shoulders.
3. my baby hated the doona and would scream until she was 5 months old, she is now 10 months and is ok with it now but doesn't love it.

Google doona tutorials, maybe they can be helpful.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics