Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
S/O Jewish Music: Which songs are from non-Jewish sources?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 4:34 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
That was the piamenta brothers. The funny thing was that I heard the piamenta version first and when I heard the english version I was very confused Smile
And I grew up with non jewish music, but my mother loved the piamenta brothers so we listened to them often.

It is still the best one!

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 4:44 pm
I think we're not being honest with ourselves here. There have been rebbes who took music from non-Jewish sources and put Jewish words to them. I don't think today's singers are on that level. What's even more glaring and everyone ignores is that you can't compare classical music or any music from a hundred years ago to the type of music popular today. You can't listen to some of of the music videos posted on this thread and tell yourself it's okay to put words from Tanach or tefilla to that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 4:52 pm
So, for example, which Shwekey songs should be avoided if one wishes to only listen to music composed by frum Jews?

Which MBD songs?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 4:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
So, for example, which Shwekey songs should be avoided if one wishes to only listen to music composed by frum Jews?

Which MBD songs?

For mordechai ben david, its been said many times, Yidden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4xmOc_Ou0A

snailmail

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:45 pm
Quote:

naturalmom5 wrote:
Miami BC. Bsiyata D Shomaya

Originally Eye of the Tiger

shabbatiscoming wrote:
Nope, not the same tunes at all.

There is a "Partish" dance version medley "English" songs where they mash up Eye of the Tiger with 3 or 4 classic Jewish songs - including MBC Besiyato Dishmaya!

https://mostlymusic.com/produc.....39385

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:47 pm
snailmail wrote:
Quote:

naturalmom5 wrote:

There is a "Partish" dance version medley "English" songs where they mash up Eye of the Tiger with 3 or 4 classic Jewish songs - including MBC Besiyato Dishmaya!

ok, but that poster was saying that they were the same tune. And they are not. Not even close.

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

Which MBD songs?

MBD - Daddy Dear

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:50 pm
GrowingUp wrote:
MBD - Daddy Dear
Whats the secular song thats from?

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:53 pm
There's something about certain songs that as soon as your hear them you get such an unpleasant feeling and you know it's not from a Jewish source, like Hashem Melech, Asher Bara, and quite a few new recent songs which I can't bear listening to.

GrowingUp

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:55 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Whats the secular song thats from?

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:55 pm
amother OP wrote:

Which MBD songs?

Some of Country Yossi songs too. (A Boy named Zlata //and then he potched me)

KJP

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:58 pm
SYA wrote:
It’s only a handful.
Those with words from tehillim or Davening were made up by the Chabad Rebbeim or their chassidim. The exception is for ha’aderes vemunah which is a French tune. But the Rebbe put that tune to those words and we believe elevated it.

That at least 3, plus there is at least one or two with Russian/ Ukranian words. I think one is about drinking vodka? Can't fully remember.
And thats all the ones we know. I wouldn't be suprised if there are more that we either lost the niggun or the source of.
Rather ironically, the classic hava nagila started off as a Chasidic niggun before being set to those words.

snailmail

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:58 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
For mordechai ben david, its been said many times, Yidden.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4xmOc_Ou0A

There are other songs too.
Once you get into the nitty gritty of it, there are many songs - MBD included, that should not take words from elevated tefillos - like Unetaneh Tokef, and put it to a dance beat - even if it is an "original" jewish song, to me there is something wrong with it. (Others will say that about most Jewish music nowadays.)

bgr8ful

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 5:59 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:

Halleluyah was composed by Leonard Cohen, a secular Jew.
I'm not saying the song is "jewish" but he is the original singer and composer.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 6:11 pm
for those arguing that Jewish music is from non-Jewish sources, I want to point out that you are missing the point. this is not what people mean when they use the term "non-Jewish" music.

the point is that my husbands employees can wiggle to some music sung by frum singers on a frum album in a thrashy, lowlife way which evokes lewd behavior and thoughts.

and in my opinion it is wrong for a frum singer to sing songs that are have no Jewish content whatsoever, no matter how clean it is.
there is a halacha about chukas hagoy. Our behavior and actions do have to be different.

If you enjoy secular music, by all means do so. But please dont sell your behavior to other frum Jews.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 6:18 pm
snailmail wrote:
Quote:

naturalmom5 wrote:

That's not by mbc tho

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:08 pm
The well known eishes chayil sung by chassidish mitzvah tantz is originally a Hungarian love song

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:25 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
Hashem Melech is a Spanish song. I know because my Mexican neighbors had it blasting at a party one Shabbos afternoon and I was able to sing along Smile

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a friend who works in a public school -she heard it being preformed by Spanish-speaking students at an assembly. She said she was humming along LOL

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:32 pm
What about ah yay. Everyone knows that one. And I dont think they even changed the words from the original one

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:42 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
What about ah yay. Everyone knows that one. And I dont think they even changed the words from the original one

I had the original on my walking list- loved the tune- til I discovered the performer and composer is Muslim
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts