Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
S/O Jewish Music: Which songs are from non-Jewish sources?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 7:57 pm
We dip the apple in the honey was a song sung by the Nazis.
Fwd to 5 minutes in.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:02 pm
amother Peru wrote:
The well known eishes chayil sung by chassidish mitzvah tantz is originally a Hungarian love song

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:12 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
We dip the apple in the honey was a song sung by the Nazis.
Fwd to 5 minutes in.

It is not the tune of "Dip the Apple", which is from the American folk song, "Oh my darling, Clementine".

Those ladies are just a bit off on the tune.

"Erika", the song they're trying to sing, was composed probably around 1930, and was indeed a popular song in Germany that was widely played during the time of the Nazis (though the lyrics are actually rather sweet and not problematic).

For those who are curious, here's what it really sounded like.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:14 pm
A lot of the non-Jewish pop music is actually composed very generically. Someone comes up with a beat and melody, and then someone else decides random words, like "baby, baby, you're a star, I'll look at you from afar," or "You shine, shine, shine like an apple dipped in glitter," or "dance to this beat by stomping your toes, that's how it goes, whoa whoa whoa," and that's why the final product sounds so generic and bland, and overall bad. But there's no reason the music can't be reused for a different project.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:15 pm
Chabad Hop Cossack

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:20 pm
Song from Reb Yom Tov Erlich-

Der General

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 8:20 pm
Maoz Tzur

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:29 pm
It’s גניבה and גניבת דעת on the part of the Jewish “artists”. Give credit where it’s due. Let us know who composed the tune.This is basic menchlichkeit! In my opinion it’s irrelevant if the original lyrics are trashy or not, don’t pass someone else’s song as your own! Where is the emes??
The worst offender imo was MBD. He not only ripped off a song, but a GERMAN song just a few decades after the Holocaust. And he had the chutzpah to write on the back of his tapes that tape copying was assur. Disgraceful.
Edit to add he also wrote that playing the tape on the sabbath is forbidden. Such a holy man.

At least the current Jewish singers could claim it’s just a “cover”. There were no covers or YouTube or internet back then. It was stealing, a complete rip-off.

When my kids were little, they were gifted Jewish kids tapes. Half the songs were from Sesame Street. No credits on back to original song. For shame.

amother
Freesia

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 9:52 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
A lot of the non-Jewish pop music is actually composed very generically. Someone comes up with a beat and melody, and then someone else decides random words, like "baby, baby, you're a star, I'll look at you from afar," or "You shine, shine, shine like an apple dipped in glitter," or "dance to this beat by stomping your toes, that's how it goes, whoa whoa whoa," and that's why the final product sounds so generic and bland, and overall bad. But there's no reason the music can't be reused for a different project.

Depends. Most of the popular artists write their own music (or a lot of it) too.

Billie Eilish for example writes everything herself including the music and all as her brother is the producer and they edit and work on it together.

Olivia Rodrigo does as well.

https://www.openmicuk.co.uk/ad.....ongs/

Apparently according to this article Lady Gaga and others wiete and produce their own music.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:12 pm
Chabad niggunim that were intentionally taken by Tzaddikim from non Jewish sources as part of the Avoda of Ishapcha doesn't really belong on this list.

Simcha Leiner doesn't have the capacity to do what the Rebbe did to the French national anthem.
Read this for more explanation from the Rebbe
https://www.sie.org/templates/.....2.htm

ETA Hupp Kossak is called der shpoler Zeide's niggun. Tzaddikim.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:31 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Chabad Hop Cossack

How could Jews sing these words - hop cossack??

Jalapeño

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 10:47 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Maoz Tzur

Wowwww shattering all my childhood illusions over here

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 11:00 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
How could Jews sing these words - hop cossack??

I'm pretty sure it's the dancing bear story. Dance cossack, dance. Would appreciate if someone can confirm.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 11:01 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
It’s גניבה and גניבת דעת on the part of the Jewish “artists”. Give credit where it’s due. Let us know who composed the tune.This is basic menchlichkeit! In my opinion it’s irrelevant if the original lyrics are trashy or not, don’t pass someone else’s song as your own! Where is the emes??
The worst offender imo was MBD. He not only ripped off a song, but a GERMAN song just a few decades after the Holocaust. And he had the chutzpah to write on the back of his tapes that tape copying was assur. Disgraceful.
Edit to add he also wrote that playing the tape on the sabbath is forbidden. Such a holy man.

At least the current Jewish singers could claim it’s just a “cover”. There were no covers or YouTube or internet back then. It was stealing, a complete rip-off.

When my kids were little, they were gifted Jewish kids tapes. Half the songs were from Sesame Street. No credits on back to original song. For shame.

Disgusting to bash MBD like this. He was far from the only frum singer who did this.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 11:11 pm
amother NeonPink wrote:
Disgusting to bash MBD like this. He was far from the only frum singer who did this.

He couldn’t pick from any other country? He was anamored with a GERMAN song??

DrMom

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 1:58 am
bgr8ful wrote:
Halleluyah was composed by Leonard Cohen, a secular Jew.
I'm not saying the song is "jewish" but he is the original singer and composer.

Actually, the song is very Jewish, with references to the life of David HaMelech while exploring inner conflict, love, regret, etc. Leonard Cohen had a very interesting life. But that's a topic for a whole separate thread.

Lyrics:
https://genius.com/Leonard-coh.....yrics

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 6:50 am
A poster above seems to be saying it’s not too difficult to compose a song. Well if it’s so easy why can’t many of the Jewish singers do it?

A number of years ago I was in a Monsey kosher supermarket and they had a boys choir in Yiddish playing on the speaker. One song seemed so familiar, I couldn’t place where I knew that tune from. By the time I finished shopping and got into my car I was singing the song in it’s original Hebrew. Wonder how the parents would feel if they knew the song their kids were singing was from a Zionist singer.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 8:20 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the dancing bear story. Dance cossack, dance. Would appreciate if someone can confirm.

Cossacks were the ones doing Chmelnitzky pogroms in Ukraine

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 8:43 am
amother Butterscotch wrote:

Wait, what? Cover songs have been around as long as songs have been around, and there's been mechanical license since piano rolls.

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 8:44 am
amother Freesia wrote:
Depends. Most of the popular artists write their own music (or a lot of it) too.

Yeah, and you can tell which ones, because their songs sound good.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts