Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dress for a business meeting

How should I dress for a business meeting?
Some kind of blazer or jacket  
 44%  [ 65 ]
Sweater is fine  
 39%  [ 58 ]
Any old thing, nobody cares  
 7%  [ 11 ]
You must wear a dress or jumper  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Wear a suit!  
 3%  [ 5 ]
Other  
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 146

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 1:59 pm
Should maybe be under working women but...

I generally dress to please myself, colors and patterns and colorful head scarves. I work from home so it's nobody's business, but when I have a doctor's appt, for example, I try to choose s/t a little more toned down & grown up.

I have a business meeting, nothing too formal but where there will be men I don't want to stand out too much, so I would probably choose one of my few grey-toned or maybe brown-toned outfits. Or if desperate, black with a touch of color, I guess.

I'm assuming a sweater is fine these days, nobody is too into the more formal suit or even blazer look? (Even for person in executive position?) But I'm not sure, because, as I said, I don't get out much : ) (I put dress as an option but really not sure I own one that fits.)

Please advise, & if you think I ought to move to Working Women forum : )

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 5:31 pm
Wow, 18 people took the time to answer my poll. Thanks!

I will have to go examine the closet!

I'd love to hear some details about what folks wear in business settings these days.

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 7:01 pm
Totally depends what type of office and meeting it is. I work in the US in the tristate area and work for a public corporate company. The official dress code is business casual, but since we have been working remotely, people have been dressing down and sometimes people are even in t-shirts or sweatshirts. That being said, when I have an in person meeting I will typically wear a straight or a-line black skirt with a nice sweater or top and stocking/tights. When I have an important meeting with a committee or with big executives, or if I am presenting, I will wear a blazer.

Based on your description, I would wear a nice top and skirt, but not a flowy or long skirt - something more tailored.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 7:05 pm
I answered sweater is fine but it actually depends on where you are and what field you’re in

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:02 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
I answered sweater is fine but it actually depends on where you are and what field you’re in

I agree. For example, Corporate vs Nonprofit vs Tech startup

Aurora

Post Wed, Nov 02 2022, 8:49 pm
It depends on your field, and where you're located.

I usually go with something in navy or gray.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 11:41 am
Keep in mind that this is also cultural. When I was engaged with DH he had something and went to see my GP, and DH was shocked to see the GP in jeans and a T-shirt and that he was shaking hands and introduced himself with his first name etc.. he almost said 'why aren't u in a suit?!'

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Nov 03 2022, 11:59 am
I work in finance. For every day at the office, I wear a nice top or sweater with a short (meaning below the knee, not ankle length) skirt and stockings or tights, depending on the season. If I have a business meeting with people outside the company or a work conference, I will wear a blazer or a nicer type. There are basically three categories of tops in my closet: regular work, "meeting" work and Shabbos.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 12:53 pm
I would wear what I wear everyday - usually a sweater or cardigan with a nice pleated or A line skirt.
I would tho stay away from midi or maxi length skirts.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 4:19 pm
If the men are going to be wearing suits and ties, wear either a skirted suit or a plain dress with a matching or contrasting jacket or blazer. Navy or grey are best. Brown doesn't "test" well, meaning that people react poorly to it.

Earrings, stick to studs or button type, not big dangles or hoops. Jewelry, small and discreet. a small brooch on the lapel of the jacket is fine. Nothing fussy or flirty.

If you're a big woman, your jewelry can and should be bigger to match your proportions. the smaller you are, the smaller your accessories should be.

Sweaters kind of scream "receptionist" which is fine if you are one. You'll never go wrong wearing a suit. It gives you clout.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics