Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Change name on birth certificate
Previous  1  2

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 6:08 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
I'm just thinking in the corporate world how they will never pronounce his name correctly. If he stays in the frum community fine.. but if he becomes a high power attorney they will fumble with the name. I didn't realize how much my secular cousins/in laws would struggle pronouncing the name until I told them and then had to repeat it slowly and practice it with them šŸ˜„. Weirdly enough I have a Tzippy and didn't agonize over the name but zippy is easy enough to say

I kind of agree that itā€™s simpler to go by Rachel, Leah or Lisa that everyone knows of.

On the other hand an attorney with the name of John smith gets lost in the shuffle while betzalel Berkowits esq. might catch your eye lol.

Just think of president Barack Obama vs president William Harrisonā€¦.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 6:35 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
I dont even care to go anon. We named our beautiful baby boy Betzalel recently as we loved the name. I have always felt strongly about Jewish names/story of Mitzraim and the fact that it seperates us in galus blah blah. The little voice in my head though also says in the holocaust people with secular names had easier times getting out.
After saying and having to repeat and spell his name though for the 10th time to the pediatrician secretary/airline/pharmacy I am afraid I set him up for failure. In our state we have a year to change the name on the birth certificate. Should I go ahead and just give him a secular name? My other kids have jewish names but easy to pronounce.. with this name people are giving me blank stares.

Help!

The part about the Holocaust is exactly why my dh and I decided to give English names on their birth certificates. They go by their Hebrew names and don't even know their English names (they're young).

amother
Moccasin

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 6:45 pm
Goldie613 wrote:
What about adding a more "regular" first name, and leave Betzalel as the middle name? Yes, you'd still have the obviously Jewish piece in there if C"V there was trouble, but it would eliminate your worries about pronunciation and professional standing.

I like this compromise. This way your son can choose his preference. He is the one who will live with it, so why not let him have the option to choose.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 6:52 pm
My brothers were mortified about their secular names and changed them once they were old enough. But it really depends on the individual and their circles.

amother
Cognac

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:09 pm
Betzalel is such a beautiful name. So what if others can't pronounce it. I would leave it the way it is.

amother
Crystal

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:24 pm
Once heā€™s in a professional or secular setting, why not plant an easy nickname that he can carry with him? All would sound sharp with a last nameā€¦
Bez, Zale, Zall, Lells
We have a friend who calls her child ā€œLelliā€ or ā€œLellsā€, short for Hillel sometimes.

If youā€™re very concerned and feel the need to actually legally change it, I think Zale could be a great option!

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 1:54 am
We did something similar to my son but worse.
He has 2 Hebrew names, we put the first one on his birth certificate and call him by the second name. (We figured out what to call him after we submitted it)

That wouldn't be so bad except no one can say his name. It's a ch name.
So at the doctor they are stumbling over a name that he doesn't respond to even when it's pronounced correctly. I regret that I didn't put his second name as his English name (it's easier to say) or give him an English name. I have half a mind to change it now (he's already school age) but my husband thinks that's crazy.

I'd say to change it. This will be a problem his whole life and if it bothers you now, it's not going to stop.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 3:05 am
I would leave his beautiful Hebrew name, but come up with a nickname you like that is easy to pronounce. Anyone that matters - including his regular doctors, dentists, etc. - can use that.
Something like "Ben" or "Eli" perhaps?
(I know a Revital who is called Tali everywhere.)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names