Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do your kids eat when they get home from school?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:27 am
My kids are hungry the minute they walk in the door from school. I am trying to think of healthy options for me to have prepared since supper is not usually ready at that time. Any exciting options?

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:29 am
Have ready cut up fruit, veggies, yogurt, soup, cereal & milk.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:32 am
amother Wine wrote:
Have ready cut up fruit, veggies, yogurt, soup, cereal & milk.

Soup is a good one! Cereal and milk will turn into 3 bowls of cereal and milk (aka a meal).

bcb

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:33 am
I usually try to have soup ready, otherwise hm cookies .... or both

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:33 am
I give my kids a slice of cheese or some nuts. I used to give more but then they wouldn't eat supper.
If you can have one part of supper ready (like the previous amother said - soup) that would be best, I guess. Or cut up fruits/veggies, with dip.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:38 am
Apples and peanut butter
A banana and chocolate milk
Crackers and cheese
Nuts
Healthier type cookie and milk

amother
Clematis

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:46 am
Not much. They get home after 5 and dinner is 6:30 so maybe a fruit bar or chocolate milk during homework (they’re tired and I find the sugar helps perk them up)

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:16 pm
This may sound crazy, but when I was a kid in the US, we'd get out of school at 3:30 and we'd be home at 4:00 pm and we'd eat dinner as soon as we'd get home.

My dad worked shifts and long hours hours, so he was rarely home for dinner, or sometimes if he was home he was catching up on his sleep so he didn't eat with us. Mom was a SAHM. I realize this wouldn't work for most families, but for us it worked really well.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:24 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
This may sound crazy, but when I was a kid in the US, we'd get out of school at 3:30 and we'd be home at 4:00 pm and we'd eat dinner as soon as we'd get home.

My dad worked shifts and long hours hours, so he was rarely home for dinner, or sometimes if he was home he was catching up on his sleep so he didn't eat with us. Mom was a SAHM. I realize this wouldn't work for most families, but for us it worked really well.

Doesn't sound so crazy to me. My kids come home around 4-4:30. Dinner is served between 4:30-5.

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:29 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:

We also always ate the minute we came home. We were always starved. I make sure to have supper ready for when my kids come home. If not, they get cookies or something filling.

I think it's very hard to have veggies and wait another hour or more for supper. Rather serve something that is easy to make or prepare in advance and warm up.

amother
Melon

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:31 pm
Supper is ready when they come home. Otherwise they can eat a fruit or nuts until supper is ready, which is usually within the half hour.

I'd rather they eat a big meal first and then later a light snack if htey need. I do not want them going to sleep right after supper with a full stomach of undigested food. I do the same for myself.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 10:36 pm
Those who have dinner ready right when your kids come home, do they all come home the same time?

Mine come home at 4, 5, and 5:30. My husband gets home at 6, which is when we eat.

My kids are allowed to have fruit when they come home -- two if they're hungry. They've always been fine with that.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 11:49 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:

I tried it, it didn't work out well. My kids come home at several different timings between 3-5. Some don't want dinner right away, and those that did want dinner right away, wanted another full dinner later in the evening when others were eating.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 11:54 pm
Crudite with hummus; apple and banana slices with peanut butter or almond butter; veggie soup; smoothies.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 3:57 am
My kids Are totally ready for dinner when they get home. Often they get last night's dinner as tonight's dinner. Or a yogurt or sandwich so that if it becomes dinner I don't care.

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 3:58 am
amother Wine wrote:
I tried it, it didn't work out well. My kids come home at several different timings between 3-5. Some don't want dinner right away, and those that did want dinner right away, wanted another full dinner later in the evening when others were eating.

So I let them eat dinner twice. Why's that more of a problem than snack and dinner? Just give them a smaller serving the second time

yitta25

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 5:12 am
I sometimes heat up frozen edamame. My preschoolers love it. I love the way it keeps them busy, provides good nutrition, and I can always have it on hand (frozen).

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 5:25 am
rice cakes and cream cheese or yellow cheese
rice cakes and humus
fruit
dried fruit
pasta
soup
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children