Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help! Adhd ds in small apartment!

Tindle

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 7:13 pm
We live in Israel and we have a small apartment, no porch.
My seven year old son has adhd.
He gets home and soon after, it's dark and sometimes rainy.
He has A LOT of energy!
In the summer, it's not a big problem, we go out almost every day to the park and he rides his bike which is a huge energy outlet for him.
But now it's dark and cold. I can't let him ride outside because he's impulsive and I can't trust him to be careful. (I'm not going out with him because I have my other kids at home who understandably don't want or need to go out after dark.) He's my oldest, so there isn't an older sibling who could watch him.
We don't have a porch or a yard. I literally dread the afternoons now. I have no idea what to do and he has SO much energy, his adhd medicine has worn off, he's bouncing off the walls and begging to go outside.
Any ideas of how he can release energy indoors??? In a small apartment???
I tried a small, indoor trampoline but that just makes him even more hyper.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 7:14 pm
A pull up bar in your doorway?
Any sort of karate chug?

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 7:19 pm
We have a soft cocoon type swing hanging on a pull up bar in the kids room doorway

Minimum amount of stuff possible

And we do go for power walks/runs even in the winter l. Just bundle everyone up

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 7:35 pm
Teach him how to jump rope. It's not only for girls. And the girl type games over tile cracks it could work for boys too. You also need a longervcalming down period. Reading books and telling stories closer to bedtime

nnmom

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 7:41 pm
Pogo ball?
He could count highest jump streak, learn tricks, jump rope while pogo-ing etc)

Tindle

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 4:49 pm
Thank you everyone for your ideas!

I like the pull up bar - that could work.

What do you do with the soft cocoon swing? Swings on it like a swing in the playground? Indoors?!?! (Small Israeli apartment here.)

Jump rope/ pogo stick - - I'm worried that might have the same result as the trampoline, which caused him to be more active rather than release energy. Any thoughts on the matter?

Tindle

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 4:56 pm
He's also I"yH going to start swimming lessons, once a week, which he really, really wants to do.

But I'm so nervous. It starts late to accommodate boys' cheder schedules, and his medicine is worn off by then. I'm so nervous that his impulsivity, adhd is going to kick in and he won't be able to listen to the instructor, wait his turn, follow directions, etc. I really want this to be a successful, positive experience for him, I"yH, but I'm so nervous that he's not going to make it through the lessons. The lessons are in groups, not one-on-one and there is nothing to do to change that nor can he go earlier.

Any ideas?

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 4:59 pm
I really relate. I have an adhd 7 year old as well. My son had a sensory swing from מילגה. I forgot what it was called but you can sit or lie in it or you can hang from in it in all positions. He used to like hanging upside down.
Can you send him to chugim? My son has chugim 3 afternoons a week.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 5:02 pm
You wrote that your son will begin swim lessons. That's great. My son takes swim lessons as well but just with one other kid. If your son has a good teacher he should be fine.
Also can you get a chessed girl to take him to the park once a week?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)