Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
New Diamond Ring Setting
Previous  1  2

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Nov 07 2022, 9:14 pm
Just googled hidden halo and it's very different than the typical halo setting. It's not a look I go for but wouldn't call it a young look like the popular halo settings out there.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 08 2022, 9:28 pm
I'm leaning towards a simple classic 4 prong high setting.

Is there what to choose from in this criteria or it's just that, four prongs and that's it?

Also, anyone know who in monsey can do it for me? The jeweler I went to is super busy and might not have it in time for when I need it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 7:54 am
Bump

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 8:34 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Oooooh, mine is oval! so my almost 30 year old ring is almost the height of trend 😂 (apparently except for my baguettes)

I took my oval engagement ring with baguettes to a local jewelry store to look at new settings. They were happy to show me new settings but told me that my vintage setting was gorgeous and asked me why I wanted to change it. I didn't see anything nicer than what I had.

watergirl

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 8:55 am
amother OP wrote:
True, engagement jewelry is sentimental. I thought I'll work around my current ring but change the setting, but like the jeweler said, it's "upgedint" meaning, it's a goner. The side stones aren't nice anymore and don't hold any value. He's recommending I scrap the ring and reset my stone in a brand new ring.

Of course he's recommending that, he wants you to spend more money.

amother OP wrote:
I'm leaning towards a simple classic 4 prong high setting.

Is there what to choose from in this criteria or it's just that, four prongs and that's it?

Re: Four prongs, people stopped doing it because jewelers recommend 5 or 6 prongs for safety. The more prongs, the more secure and the less likely it is to chip because it's protected.

As for the halo and it being for younger kallahs, I am 41 and have had my ring for the last 7 years (married 16 but I did not get a ring when we got engaged). I went with a halo because my stone is pretty small (I think it's a half karat) so I wanted something to make it look bigger. I loved it then and I love it now and if it's a style that's "too young" for me? Seriously who cares?

Like shaitels, I do feel you should go with something you love as opposed to a trend, unless it's a trend you love and think you will still love many years from now. Don't go with something that you don't love just because it's "timeless". And don't go with something that's a trend unless you love it.

emi1812

Post Wed, Nov 09 2022, 3:13 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Trends and styles come and go. What is in style and modern now will not be in 5 years.

As you are married almost 20 years, I imagine you are approaching, if not past, 40. I would support, if not encourage a halo ring for my DD who is 21-just like all her friends. But for me, I don’t know that I need to match them. (Btw, my ring is yellow gold with Baguettes-mid 90’s, not recommending but I love mine).

Can you go to a jewelry store or even check out online websites and see what catches your eye?

Also, you said you don’t know what shape or size your stone is. Different stones look better in different settings. I would ask the jeweler for recommendations or to show you some very different opinions so that you can see what you like.

Got a halo ring when I got married 14 years ago. Back then, it wasn’t popular and everyone had the square diamond rings. I still love my halo ring!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics