Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Why doesn’t my kugel taste the same Friday night?

mirimiri

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 1:04 am
Hi everyone,
I make a delicious creamy on the inside crunchy on the outside kugel. I make it Friday afternoon and everyone devours it when I take it out of the oven, for a few hours it’s delicious. However, when I serve it Friday night and for sure shabbos lunch, it tastes like a TOTALLY different kugel. The texture and flavor aren’t the same at all, like the people you tasted it Friday afternoon can’t believe it’s the same…I know kugel taste the best fresh, but I’ve had kugel by others that are delicious and creamy Friday night too…any insight or a good recipe that will last?
Thanks!!!

myname1

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 3:15 am
mirimiri wrote:
Hi everyone,
I make a delicious creamy on the inside crunchy on the outside kugel. I make it Friday afternoon and everyone devours it when I take it out of the oven, for a few hours it’s delicious. However, when I serve it Friday night and for sure shabbos lunch, it tastes like a TOTALLY different kugel. The texture and flavor aren’t the same at all, like the people you tasted it Friday afternoon can’t believe it’s the same…I know kugel taste the best fresh, but I’ve had kugel by others that are delicious and creamy Friday night too…any insight or a good recipe that will last?
Thanks!!!

Sorry, I'm not sure. I would guess the way it's being stored or heated up. Maybe You can try covering tightly with foil so very little air is trapped inside?

But I still haven't managed to find a recipe for a delicious creamy on the inside crunchy on the outside kugel. Can you PLEASE share your recipe and method? I'd love to hear all details including the type of pan and way to shred/chop everything. I so much want to make this delicious kugel! Even if only for eating fresh!

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 3:46 am
Make it underdone, and then crisp it up Friday night

cbg

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 3:59 am
I bake mine in a pyrex
I like Jaimie Geller’s recipe

myname1

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 4:07 am
cbg wrote:
I bake mine in a pyrex
I like Jaimie Geller’s recipe

And it has that creamy inside, crunchy outside??

shmoosh

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:39 am
I find that my kugel loses its crunch. I think it’s because I cover it after it’s baked but I haven’t tried leaving it open yet.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:44 am
mirimiri wrote:
Hi everyone,
Thanks!!!

I’m one of those people who can eat a whole kugel before shabbos, but won’t touch it ON shabbos. It’s literally not the same kugel. Before shabbos it has to go into the oven or warming drawer or onto the blech, and that totally changes it, at least for me. It’s not as creamy as it was before shabbos, it’s reheated so it has a slightly different taste…..

Amarante

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:45 am
Given the recent thread on sharing recipes and whether one is being *pushy* for asking for a recipe one loves LOL I hesitate to suggest just asking for the recipe and technique of kugels you have enjoyed on Friday evenings.

We can only offer possible theories but the results might not be exactly what you are looking for.

This is because in general anything that has a crisp exterior and a creamy interior is generally that way fresh out of the oven or pan. I am thinking of a French Fry which is generally only at peak perfection when it is right out of the fryer.

I never even order any kind of takeout that is fried or supposed to be crispy because invariably it will be soggy and reheating it doesn't restore it to perfection because it then often becomes dry and/or the exterior becomes over done.

ez-pass

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:01 am
We eat kugel straight f on the oven when it's a crunchy outside super creamy inside and shabbos day overnighted when it's brown and yummmm.

Roseflower

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:13 am
I made a potato kugel in the betty crocker. It was really really good.
Soft on the inside, crisp on the outsides.
It was like a giant potato latke. Awesomely heaven!!

I can share the recipe ( Surprised ), if anyone wants it.

BSD1

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 11:24 am
It depends on what kind of blade you are using for the kugel. I have my guess. What is your machine and method? Machine, blade, and how long you run the machine depending on the blade type.

Growing

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:27 am
bumping this up from 2020

was this ever resolved?
I'm looking for the elusive answer on this right now

Smile1234

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 12:22 pm
I never tried it but someone told me they heat their kugel up upside down on the hot plate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes