Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Boys' name that means "happy" or "makes others happy"
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:33 am
Besides Simcha.

We want to name after a family member who had these as their primary middos -- always happy and content about everything, always finding ways to make other people happy, praising other people all the time, seeing the good...

Simcha is not an option. We trend towards classic Tanach/Hebrew names...like Yosef, Chaim, Dovid, Aryeh, Boruch. Not generally Yiddish or Modern Hebrew names like Zelig or Gil. We're OOT yeshivish, for reference. (For those who will turn this into a debate...Yes, we discussed with our rav why we are not naming the actual name of the person, and he agreed that a name like this might work.)

Any ideas?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:37 am
Yitzchak means to laugh.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:42 am
Based on your description, Yitzhak might work, because there are sources that say his father laughed for joy (as opposed to incredulity) on hearing Sarah was going to have a son.

Also, maybe Aharon -- ohev shalom v'rodef shalom.

ETA - cross posted with the amother above me. (What color is Nemesia anyway?)

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:45 am
Asher is close

Osher -- probably to modern for you though. Ron? Yarin?

Noam?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 7:05 am
Thank you so much! I'm making a list to discuss with my husband. Right now it includes Aharon (I really like this one! Thank you for the idea!), Asher, and Shalom (not exactly the meaning I asked for, but fits the person's personality too). I like the name Yitzchak, but can't use it.

If anyone has any other ideas...not sure what he'll go for.

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 7:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Besides Simcha.

We want to name after a family member who had these as their primary middos -- always happy and content about everything, always finding ways to make other people happy, praising other people all the time, seeing the good...

Simcha is not an option. We trend towards classic Tanach/Hebrew names...like Yosef, Chaim, Dovid, Aryeh, Boruch. Not generally Yiddish or Modern Hebrew names like Zelig or Gil. We're OOT yeshivish, for reference. (For those who will turn this into a debate...Yes, we discussed with our rav why we are not naming the actual name of the person, and he agreed that a name like this might work.)

Any ideas?

Noam is universal I think

Roots

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:13 am
I actually thought into this and I really cant think of yeshivish boys names that mean joy besides simcha (unless you count the israeli, yaron, etc
but I saw you were thinking of aharon and a nickname can be ronny/ron which means joy in hebrew
btw for girls names there happen to be alot (gila rina ditza chedva..)

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:18 am
Gil means joy. Not a common name but if pronounced properly it sounds quite nice. Like Gila but for a boy.

ETA I see you mentioned it in your OP. Yep, def not yeshivish.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:22 am
What about Meir? He lights up the world!

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:22 am
Mair - enlighten

It can stand for a person who always did to enlighten others.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:36 am
Not exactly “joy”. But these names mean comfort.
Menachem
Nachum
Nachman

Also Shlomo is another variation of Sholom, with similar meaning

Also Uri and Yair as variations of Meir

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:35 am
OP, Is simcha not an option because you don't think it's in the same category as chaim and boruch? Because it's the same style name.

I assume that's not what you meant.

I am yeshivish and name my kids similarly, and they all have names that are people from Tanach or (common, famous) Gemara.

Obviously I first thought of Simcha. And before I read the OP and got an idea of what type of name you wanrd, thought of Sasson too Smile

I like the Yitzchok idea. Meir too.

There aren't that many happy names in the category you like.

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:38 am
Maybe noach can be like menucha

amother
Papayawhip

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 9:44 am
Meir Simcha was the Ohr Sameach its a pretty yeshivish name!
Would fit perfectly to your description

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:17 am
Thanks for the ideas!

I can't use Simcha due to a very close family member named Simcha. I wouldn't feel comfortable naming my child the same name, even though it's theoretically possible. It was the first name I thought of, which is why I was looking for others.

I know that there aren't so many options in my "genre," but I was hoping someone would come up with a good idea...and they did! Like Aharon above, which I never would have thought of on my own.

It's odd that there are so many girls' names that would fit this description, but far fewer for boys.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:29 am
What about Yehuda- to thank. We are called Yehudim because we are a grateful nation!

Aurora

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:31 am
Or Yishai: God gave me a gift.

Kiwi13

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 10:42 am
Meir means "makes light" or "illuminates." I like to think my Meir lights up my heart (happiness).

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 8:54 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
What about Meir? He lights up the world!

name meir simcha after the meshech chochma

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 12:00 am
What about chaim leib? (Life with love)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names