Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Maya

amother

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 6:17 am
A Litvish godol hador told me recently that "Maya" is a good name (not my name or anything. It's a long story why that came up). I didn't ask him to elaborate as we were there for other reasons, but I'm confused. I didn't even know this was a Jewish name. How do you spell it? What does it mean? What's its source, and why would it be especially "good"? ("Shem tov," that's what he told me.) Any thoughts?

Tablepoetry

Post Thu, Feb 06 2014, 6:43 am
Well, that's good to know, because it's one of the most popular names in Israel. (I think people see it as a derivative of 'mayim').

CP123

Post Wed, Mar 12 2014, 4:47 pm
I had an Israeli Moroccan friend named Maya. She told me it is spelled "mem-aleph-yud-heh", and it is an acronym for "M'Ait Hashem Hi", meaning "She is from G-d".

Hope this helps!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 30 2014, 9:36 pm
Anyone know anything else about the name maya? I read the old threads but I was curious if anyone else heard what was in this thread - "mi'ait Hashem he" where is that from?

Dina_B613

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 12:45 am
I believe it's from the word for water (mayim) - and since the Torah is compared to water, it makes sense that it would be 'good.' It is Aramaic and can be spelled a few different ways.

I was told by someone who knows Sanskrit that in Sanskrit, it has a negative context.. but unless you're hanging out with Sanskrit speakers, this shouldn't be an issue.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 1:36 am
It is not a traditional Jewish name. Maia was a goddess in Greek mythology - a daughter of a sea nymph. The month of May is named after her.
However, it is a name that is very popular in Israel, to a certain extent also in DL circles, because of the verbal affinity to "mayim" and "ma'ayan" and the Aramaic מיא
There are secular people who like the name davka because it has an international ring to it like.
Recently I've heard of DL people using the name spelled מיה - "from Hashem".

ProudMommie

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 4:25 am
It is really not a Jewish name and everyone I know with this name had issues... Just saying. IMHO it is a name to stay away from...

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 5:03 am
imochka wrote:
It is really not a Jewish name and everyone I know with this name had issues... Just saying. IMHO it is a name to stay away from...

Fascinating.
I know plenty of women/girls with the name "Maya" and they are all fine people. Go figure.
It's one of the most popular baby girl names in Israel -- are you predicting that all these girls will have "problems"? That's a bit ridiculous.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 31 2014, 8:38 am
OP here.

Wow, this got bumped up? Yeah, I don't know anything about it, except I had a godol hador tell me to add a name, and he suggested Maya, like I said it was a good name. (In the end I added Rivka instead.)

(Now a lot of people probably know who I am, lol.)

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Nov 10 2022, 6:07 pm
Does anyone know more about this name ?
And which gadol says itโ€™s fine to use ?

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 2:00 am
I am interested too!

I live in Israel, and I know a masorati Morrocan girl whose name was pronounced Maya but spelled ืžื™ื” and she also said that an Orthodox rav said it was a good name.

I'd be very interested in any information, especially as I am pregnant and this would be a consideration for a girl. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names