Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
CARROT CAKE–APPLE BREAKFAST COOKIES

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 11 2022, 10:28 am
These are great for breakfast on the go and a healthy nosh. I freeze them and they just need to be nuked for a few seconds to warm them up

CARROT CAKE–APPLE BREAKFAST COOKIES

Excerpt From: Nicole Keshishian Modic - Love to Eat

MAKES 14 TO 16 COOKIES

Breakfast cookies are the ultimate grab-and-go breakfast. And when it comes to my cookies, I don’t mess around. They need to be super tasty and pack a nutritious punch. Cue these breakfast cookies. Sometimes I love adding a simple icing on top of each cookie to make them feel more dessertlike, and sometimes I leave it off. This recipe makes a large batch of cookies, so you can freeze any extras and pop them out when you need a quick breakfast or a snack on the go.

COOKIES

2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
¾ cup oat flour
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
1 egg or 1 flax egg (see this page)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup finely diced apple, skin on (about 1 large apple)
¾ cup grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)

ICING (OPTIONAL)

1 cup confectioners’ organic sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons water

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

To make the cookies: In a large bowl, add the rolled oats, oat flour, flaxseed meal, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. Stir together well.

Then add the applesauce, maple syrup, egg, vanilla, coconut oil, carrots, and apples to the dry ingredients. Stir just until combined.

Using a cookie scoop or a large spoon, scoop out fourteen to sixteen cookies and line them up on the prepared baking sheet. (These cookies won’t spread too much.) You can gently flatten each one if you’d like, using the palm of your hand or the bottom of a cup.

Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until the tops and edges of the cookies are set—they might look soft, but they will firm up when they cool.
Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on a wire rack before icing.

To make the icing: Whisk together the sugar and water. You want to make sure the icing is super thick and not too watery.
After the cookies have completely cooled for about 1 hour, drizzle some of the icing on top of each cookie and then devour!

These cookies will remain fresh stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.

hodeez

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:34 pm
Can I leave our the flax meal or sub with something else?

MrsDash

Post Sun, Mar 03 2024, 3:41 pm
hodeez wrote:
Can I leave our the flax meal or sub with something else?

Same question Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins