Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Are there chassidish single women that live on their own?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:18 pm
Respectfully asking are there chassidish single women in Williamsburg who live on their own before they got married like in non chassidish communities, renting an apartment either alone or with roommates?

amother
Lightgray

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:21 pm
I (unfortunately) don’t know of any. (Satmar for context.)

amother
Puce

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:22 pm
Yes I know someone in Monroe who’s living alone in her own apartment

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:23 pm
Mainstream chassidish girls, no. Only at risk/otd.

Young divorcees without kids do sometimes rent a small apartment on their own, although they usually move back with their parents.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:23 pm
I know someone in monsey. But people do say negative things about her.

amother
Hunter

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:27 pm
no its not really an accepted thing. because its not a common thing, if someone wud do it I think it would raise many eyebrows, ppl would assume maybe there's something wrong at home, etc etc.
but maybe some older singles would? I haven't heard of any.

I got divorced at 22 though and I stayed living alone in my apartment afterwards. doesnt raise as many eyebrows. I think.

amother
Coffee

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:46 pm
No, it's not a thing for mainstream chassidish girls.
Is it even a thing in Litvish/yeshivish communities? Or more common in MO communities?

scruffy

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:49 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
No, it's not a thing for mainstream chassidish girls.
Is it even a thing in Litvish/yeshivish communities? Or more common in MO communities?

In Litvish/ yeshivish communities, there are young singles from OOT who are in school/working in the tristate area and live in apts on their own. But not generally in their hometown. Older singles do generally live on their own.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:50 pm
amother Coffee wrote:

Is it even a thing in Litvish/yeshivish communities?

It has become more common. It's definitely not unheard of, and it doesn't raise eyebrows.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:52 pm
Another factor might be that there aren’t all that many older girls in chassidish communities. They are far and a between.

Now older boys, that a whole new mesachte. And yes I do know boys who have their own apartments.

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:54 pm
Not chassidish but I have friends and lived in BP for a few years.
No, it’s not accepted. A young girl lives with her family until she gets married. The goal is to get married young so there isn’t much time to be on her own. If a girl were to leave her parents home she’d be making a very negative statement and would probably have issues with shidduchim.
It’s acceptable for a yeshivish girl if her family lives out of town.

amother
Diamond

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:55 pm
Chassidish girls don’t go to seminary so the concept of leaving the parents house before marriage isn’t there.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:56 pm
amother Wine wrote:
It has become more common. It's definitely not unheard of, and it doesn't raise eyebrows.

If it's not an older single and she isn't from OOT who moved to the tri state area for school/work/shidduchim, then it definitely raises eyebrows.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 8:59 pm
amother Smokey wrote:

It’s acceptable for a yeshivish girl if her family lives out of town.

Once a yeshivish girl is a bit older (like mid/upper 20s) it's become much more common. Even for those who don't come from oot. I've met quite a few;)
I think people don't realize how many single girls there actually are still around, because they tend to kinda stay under the radar. And out of sight, out of mind. Especially if they've moved out/away from their old neighborhood.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 9:01 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
If it's not an older single and she isn't from OOT who moved to the tri state area for school/work/shidduchim, then it definitely raises eyebrows.

What do you mean by "older single"? Yes, I know of quite a few who moved out by the age of say, 24/25. I don't consider that an older single, though.
The ones I've met ironically have moved out of the tri-state area to oot cities. I guess they need some breathing space.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 9:06 pm
amother Wine wrote:
What do you mean by "older single"? Yes, I know of quite a few who moved out by the age of say, 24/25. I don't consider that an older single, though.
The ones I've met ironically have moved out of the tri-state area to oot cities. I guess they need some breathing space.

If they moved that far, then yes. I was talking about living in the same city/town, just separately from the parents.

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Nov 12 2022, 9:13 pm
amother Mayflower wrote:
If they moved that far, then yes. I was talking about living in the same city/town, just separately from the parents.

So, they're considered as "off" if they move neighborhoods, but not if they move cities? Seriously, what's the difference? It's so silly and old fashioned.

Honestly I think these days, most girls who get to that age just don't care that much anymore what some yentas are going to say about them. They know people gossip about them anyway, so this is just going to be par for the course. I think it's mainly the very young singles who still care and worry about that. (And their parents. These girls' parents want them to be happy and in a place they feel comfortable.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 12:39 pm
Williamsburg has many types of chassidish people living there, Satmar, Vizhnitz, Bobov etc. Is it accepted by any of the groups, or is it not accepted across the board?

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 12:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
Williamsburg has many types of chassidish people living there, Satmar, Vizhnitz, Bobov etc. Is it accepted by any of the groups, or is it not accepted across the board?

Not accepted

asmileaday

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'm curious as to why you are asking? Can you enlighten us?

No it's not accepted across the board.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries