Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
My food processor broke... Any suggestions for a good one?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

TWeiss

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:52 am
I love the cuisinart one

fbc

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:02 am
Chayalle wrote:
Are you me? My food processor broke this past Friday as I was making my potato kugel (truthfully it had been "groaning" and making weird sounds for a while, so it didn't come as a total shock.)

Total Hashgacha, but last night Amazon had a lightning deal for the Braun, and I ordered a new one. It's coming tomorrow.

Lol it was also while I was making potato kugel!! Good luck with the new one!

Lydia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:13 am
Lkwdlady, you ask how the Hamilton Beach is for kugel....

I use the S-blade for kugel, and the machine works just great for me. I can vary the smoothness if I want by grinding it for a shorter or longer amount of time. It is uniform in how it grinds--not mush at the bottom and chunky at the top like some.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:24 am
Lydia wrote:
Lkwdlady, you ask how the Hamilton Beach is for kugel....

I use the S-blade for kugel, and the machine works just great for me. I can vary the smoothness if I want by grinding it for a shorter or longer amount of time. It is uniform in how it grinds--not mush at the bottom and chunky at the top like some.

Thank you. When I looked at the link you posted it shows 2 options. A chopper for $39.99 and a chopper plus food processor for $67.98. Which one do you use?

ChumHen

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:39 am
I'm following this thread as well, cuz my processor broke after many years and I'm looking to replace.

Lydia, you write about the Hamilton. Even though I used the Braun until now, it's its still costly and I'm considering the Hamilton. I have the same questions the other poster asked. How is it for kugel, and why are they offering a separate piece as a chopper? Doesn't the knife blade do the chopping as well in one machine?

Am I wasting my money by trying to save right now?

Thank you

Lydia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:47 am
Oooo! I see! That is really weird.

I definitely use the food processor, with the handle on the side and feeder tube sticking out of the top. It's sold on sites other than Amazon also for around $60. That, combined with the fact that the processor picture comes up when you click "Chopper," makes me think it's a mistake on the Amazon site.

If I were trying order a food processor right now, I would order the $39 (sale price) version on Amazon. And return it if they sent just the chopper.

Lydia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:52 am
Also, I see that Amazon has just the chopper listed separately for the non-sale price of $27.99, also sold by the Hamilton Beach Amazon store. It's only three cups and is for small jobs, just chopping. This is NOT what I'm recommending.

But it strengthens my idea that the other link is just mislabeled.

Lydia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:00 am
I'm not sure what else to tell you about how it works for kugel. But I'll tell you what I do:

With the S-blade in, I fill the bowl with an onion and 6-7 chunked up potatoes. Then add 1/2 oil, 5 eggs, and a shy tablespoon of salt. Grind it, pour into a big tub. Then do it all again. Then mix the tub. It makes 2 9x12 pans. It comes out creamy.

I've never tried to grind the potatoes totally dry. I'm not sure how that would come out.

I also use it to shred, but not for kugel. There is one shredder setting: medium. I don't know if using it on the faster or slower speed would affect the shredding.

There is a slicer too. I don't use it very much.

ChumHen

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:24 am
That's helpful

And I also used my processor to chop onions and the like

This can too?

mama123

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:26 am
I’d also like to replace my food processor. I bought a cheap one around 10 years ago and I’m only ready to replace it because I want something that will hold more than 10 cups and I’ve dropped mine a few times, so the lid is not so functional anymore.
Any suggestions for a 14 cup size other than the Braun? Even on sale I can’t bring myself to spend that much.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:29 am
I’ll chime in as having tried both the braun and Hamilton beach. Braun is head and shoulders above it in quality IMO. (And the HB is sooooo noisy!)

But I’ll post the Walmart link that I got it’s on sale now too. (I paid $50 in March 2020)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....20930

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:49 am
Smile1234 wrote:
I’ll chime in as having tried both the braun and Hamilton beach. Braun is head and shoulders above it in quality IMO. (And the HB is sooooo noisy!)

But I’ll post the Walmart link that I got it’s on sale now too. (I paid $50 in March 2020)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....20930

Yes this is the one PF is talking about, with the fine shred option.
I have it for both Pesach and year round. Much prefer it to the 14 C Cuisinart I got when I was first married.

Lydia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:50 am
ChumHen, it can chop onions. I do that to make onion crackers. If you aren't making very much you might want to use the scraper attachment so they don't stick to the sides.

I've also used it to:
Chop nuts-fine
Chop green spices like parsley or basil-the small quantity doesn't work well because it sticks to sides.
Techina-great
Babaganoush and other soft dips-great
Tomato dip-I prefer an immersion blender to make it more smooth. When the consistency is very wet, the chunks of tomato don't get as smooth.
Cracker dough-small batch, not too much mixing-great. The s-blade wouldn't handle big dough batches.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:02 am
I'm wondering about the Hamilton Beach.....I don't have a Braun for Pesach - I have something called I think the LeChef, and it does a good job for Kugel but is awful at dips. For example, if I make babaganoush in it, I end up with chunks of garlic (if I use fresh). In my dill dip, it doesn't do a great job chopping the dill. The S-blade doesn't hit the bottom of the bowl exactly, which leads to this problem.

I wonder if I should get the HB for Pesach - don't want to spend such a fortune as the Braun - wonder how it would perform on dips.

For all year around, I feel the price of the Braun is justified. I got it last night for $169.99 on an Amazon Lightning deal.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:06 am
I'm surprised the Braun is so expensive in US, here in Israel the fp3020 is 450 NIS- which is right now 132 dollars. That's standard price.

Chayalle

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:19 am
WitchKitty wrote:
I'm surprised the Braun is so expensive in US, here in Israel the fp3020 is 450 NIS- which is right now 132 dollars. That's standard price.

It may be cheaper to export it to Israel than to the US, since it's from Europe.

ChumHen

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:42 am
thanks for all the tips! So helpful!

and now I just called my local hardware store to ask them about current price and upcoming sales. Seems their braun will be knocked down from roughly 209 now to about 20$ off closer to chanukah.
if that's accurate.
so that's cheaper then the amazon of 199 now.
but still way pricier then the hamilton.

Hmm......

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:47 am
ChumHen, the Braun is $169.99 today

Updated- that was the price last night. I see it’s $199 today

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 12:15 pm
TWeiss wrote:
I love the cuisinart one

Do they all have tiny feeding tubes?

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 12:16 pm
ra_mom wrote:
https://www.dansdeals.com/shopping-deals/kitchen/braun-12-cup-food-processor-7-attachment-blades-chopper-citrus-juicer-169-99-shipped-amazon/

Thanks!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars