Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I change the terms of my freelance agreement?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 12:21 am
I am a professional who has my own business. I also do some freelancing work for a colleague and friend. I recently decreased my freelancing for her because my own business has been doing well. She asked if I would stay on in a very limited capacity. I told her I would.
About 2 months ago, she asked if I would take on a 1 time project. I said yes. Then the project got put on hold for a variety of reasons. She reached out to me last week and said she is ready to move forward and she asked me to review the basic requirements and start the project. I haven't reviewed them yet but I decided I don't really want the job. And if I take it, I think her pay is not enough. I have a specific skill that is hard to find. I know how much she charges her clients and I feel the amount I am paid is not sufficient; I can earn more than that in my own business.

I know for the future I can let her know my rate has gone up. But since I said yes to her for this project and it was assumed that I would be paid the original rate, can I let her know now that my rate has increased? Is it too late since I said yes and got the initial paperwork?

She has been a colleague and friend for many years and I don't want to sever our relationship and good will but I don't really want to work for less than I earn in my own business!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 1:17 am
Only you know how this will affect your relationship. But it may be worth taking that pay cut to maintain your friendship. Maybe you can discuss with her and meet each other halfway?

I know with dh’s business those clients that used him back when he first started out get special service out of hakaras hatov. So that’s also something to keep in mind.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 10:25 am
I went to someone for a service when he was starting out. I've been using this service for a bunch of years. Recently, his business grew a lot and his rates have gone up. He's still giving me the service at the old rate due to hakaras hatov and because I send him a lot of business because of my many positive experiences there.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 11:01 am
Your way out, if you choose to take it, is that you agreed to the project 2 months ago without knowing that it wouldn't be ready until now. At that time you were available to say yes, but by now you are in middle of other things and can't honor such an old commitment.

However, only you know what this relationship is to you and whether it's worth backing out like that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics