Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
What to do

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 1:38 pm
I have a bunch of little kids home BH. I had started toilet training my just turned 3 year old, but I’m running into problems.
Teacher in school said that once most of the training is done she will help out in school, but only really towards the end of it. Meaning she isn’t doing the brunt of it. Perfectly reasonable.
What most people do is do it over a few days at home.
The problem is that DH and I work on Friday, and we have communal roles so we host for meals and go to shul shabbos morning. That means my child can’t be running around naked during those times. Even if I decide to stay home one shabbos, that child and my others will be very sad to not go to shul (DH can’t take them, they go to the groups with me). Which leads me to my next point- it is VERY hard to not leave the house at al when you’re with little kids. I live in an apt, and on Sunday I need to get out with them, otherwise my other kids will be so upset (they are young). DH isn’t home during the day. Plus this kid still naps so I put a diaper on for that. And obviously at night.
So what I’ve been doing for a few weeks is underwear on some of Friday, some of shabbos, most of sunday, and after school every night (2-3 hours). This means I couldn’t leave the house at all for the past couple of weeks.
This child is ready to be toilet trained, and yes has accidents, but only a couple a day. Sometimes this child would refuse to use the toilet but usually fine.
Nothing is changing. Same things happening. I’m going nuts. Part of me is thinking that I need a weekend when both DH and I are around to just do it fully without breaks. But that’s not until Chanukah.
Do I continue doing what I’m doing or pause and wait?

iluvu

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 1:54 pm
I always train on weekends so I'm home at least 2 days. ( I don't go to shul) put on underwear, about every 5 minutes feel the underwear and tell kid " yay its dry" and give small treat like a asprin candy or chocolate chip. And take to the bathroom about every 15 minutes. If kid makes they get something... ( for me a big hurray and hug worked!) This way the kid gets the concept of dry and wet. Out of the 4 kids I used this method with 3 of them were trained that day!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 1:58 pm
You CAN keep doing it, but if he's having a few accidents a day he's nowhere near trained and you're better off stopping and starting fresh when you and he are ready

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 2:33 pm
He’ll get too busy playing and sometimes will refuse because of that

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 4:00 pm
I was having this issue with my daughter. I took a break sort of... Kept taking her to the bathroom once or twice a day most days to keep her familiar with the concept. Then day before and Labor Day worked on toilet training.

If you have a legal holiday coming up that you can take use to get 2 days in a row?
Do you have family that could take out your other kids for a few hours?

One thing I noticed is that first thing in the morning is the best time to get them to go. Immediately on waking up stick on the toilet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training