Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Far rockaway girls highschools

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 6:08 pm
We are iyh moving to the area for the 23-24 school year and my age oldest dd is currently in 8th grade. I applied to tag tmm and byam. From what I hear the girls in tmm are happiest but it is also the hardest to get into. Dd is Bh a smart kid but I am a little nervous about the pressure at tag. Byam sounds nice and warm but I would want her to have a full high school experience in a high school with 9-12 grade. Just looking to hear the pros and cons of each school. TIA.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:17 pm
Much hatzlacha on your move. As to the girls' highschools: TMM is big, they need to accept their "own" first ... BYAM is warm and does give the girls a full high school experience although it will only have grades 9 and 10 for next year... but you need to weigh the pros and cons..... best of luck !

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:42 pm
some pros of tag. they really do everything to the fullest. Yes there is work and responsibilities. The teachers are committed, available and care deeply about the girls. there is constant extracurricular opportunities and community opportunities. The girls run many programs within the community. The girls there grow to be really well rounded, well spoken and have a deep sense of community and chessed. the diversity of the crowd lends itself to much less politics and peer pressure (there is no one “cool group”) and the girls really learn to respect and get along with all types.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:47 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
some pros of tag. they really do everything to the fullest. Yes there is work and responsibilities. The teachers are committed, available and care deeply about the girls. there is constant extracurricular opportunities and community opportunities. The girls run many programs within the community. The girls there grow to be really well rounded, well spoken and have a deep sense of community and chessed. the diversity of the crowd lends itself to much less politics and peer pressure (there is no one “cool group”) and the girls really learn to respect and get along with all types.

As a former TAG parent- all true. But it is well known that it is almost impossible to get into TAG HS unless you are a sibling. Same is true with TMM.................

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:49 pm
Yes unfortunately Sad due to the size of both elementary schools it is very difficult.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:52 pm
It is the reason why BYAM HS is perfectly timed for the community.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:27 pm
Congrats on your move
I just moved here last week
But what is TMM??

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:29 pm
BBY’s high school

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:29 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Congrats on your move
I just moved here last week
But what is TMM??

TMM is the high school connected to BBY.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:37 pm
TMM is Tichon Meir Moshe, the hs of BBY, which is Bnos Bais Yaakov Very Happy

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:25 pm
Why a boy's name for a girl's BY?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:28 pm
Dont move before youre accepted...
I live in FR and the schools are bursting

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:32 am
amother Floralwhite wrote:
Dont move before youre accepted...
I live in FR and the schools are bursting

She can technically stay in her Brooklyn for high school but I really think that it is silly. BBY and TAG I understand are pretty full already but BYAM is hard to get into as well?? I have my reservations about a new high school but I would rather that then her in Brooklyn.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:35 am
No BYAM she should have no problem getting into. If you decide to go for TAG I would suggest try to connect to someone who works for or connected to the school to put in a good word for you.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
She can technically stay in her Brooklyn for high school but I really think that it is silly. BBY and TAG I understand are pretty full already but BYAM is hard to get into as well?? I have my reservations about a new high school but I would rather that then her in Brooklyn.

I know people who now send in BYAM HS. Do your research- as those parents are so happy with trajectory of the school. And- sorry- but yes- they prob wont accept every applicant- they are selective.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 1:33 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Why a boy's name for a girl's BY?

Because whomever donated millions to help fund the school can name it l’ilui nishmas whoever they want!

amother
NeonOrange

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:19 pm
Definitely pros and cons to each. I know people who work at both school as well as the girls in each
Tag very hard to get into. I know they had to turn away 50 or so applicants for no other reason other then they didt have the space.
Byam is definitely not accepting every girl necessarily. They dont want to be known as that school and want to keep it a certain ways.
I know quite a few girls there now and while.yes the school is small, the girls are so close. My friend who works there didnt know who knew each other before and who just met because they are all so close. The principal is amazing there and has a close relationship with the girls because it's small and warm. Not to say the tag principals arent nice and warm. They are great but its different on a smaller scale. But byam is trying to give the girls a full HS experience even though they are the only grade. They have programs and students leading the programs etc just on a smaller scale
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics